Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 17, 2017, 01:54:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting A 29g Planted Tank  (Read 3005 times)
DaniFishGirl84

United States United States

« on: April 21, 2016, 09:18:22 AM »

Hello, I would like to turn my 29g High into a planted tank. I will be starting this in a few months over the summer. In the tank right now, slightly overstocked, are 3 Guppies, 2 Mollies, 1 DG, 2 Nerites, and 10 Cories. Eventually, I would like only a school of Neon Tetras and 8-10 Kuhli Loaches, and to move the rest into a bigger tank with my other fish.

I have had Hornwort and Water Wisteria in the past. The Hornwort dropped all of its needles within a week but continuously kept my Nitrates and Ammo down and the Wisteria eventually rotted. I was using Seachem Flourish Excel as I thought it was a fertilizer with CO2, not just a CO2 source. I will be purchasing Seachem Flourish.
I have a single bulb t8 fixture on it and was looking at the Zoo Med Ultra Sun bulb to go in it. I had looked into Finnex LEDs but just cannot afford those right now. My substrate in that tank is Black Diamond Blasting Sand. The PH is roughly 8.2 and we have hard water. The temperature is 78.0-80.0F. My fish don't seem to mind it much, though. The tank is on a timer, on from 10am-8:30pm. Would that time still work with plants, or will it be too much and grow algea?

What plants would I be safe to try? They would be low light plants, in hard water with high PH. They would be dosed with the Flourish accordingly and weekly with the CO2, just to get rid of the gallon I have. At the start and occasionally with root tabs, as well.

Some research has led me to Anubias, Swords, and Java Fern, but I'm lost on the scientific names. I would really love to try Wisteria again but I'm slightly afraid. I would be willing to try Hornwort again as well, but I cannot stand all of those needles dropping because they were hard to clean up. Could I quarantine it in a 10g for a few weeks until it melted then see how it does in the 29g or just go with a different plant?

Can anyone chime in or give me some advice? Also wondering what a good dip would be to get rid of any hitchikers, or other ideas. My LPS has a few plants in every now and then but I was going to try Amazon or another store online. Any come to mind? List them! Should I get them all at once or a few a week or 2 at a time? Thanks!
gunnered72

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 240, 100, 70, 50, 30, 30, 25 Litres

Theres more water than air in here :P

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 12:25:56 AM »

Flourish is liquid fertilizer (It says on the bottle to dose weekly) Double the weekly dose recommendation and split it up into 3 (Dose a 3rd every second day)

Excel is liquid carbon and should be dosed daily at the recommended level (Do not overdose excel)

Decent lighting will help alot (although Anubias and Java fern will grow under any light...albeit slowly)

Change your light tubes every 9 months!!! (Otherwise your plants will start to die off and algae will appear)

Vallis (all species)  is particularly happy in hard water and grows under low light...(some say excel melts it but the jury is out on that one)

8 hours a day lighting is more than enough (any longer and you are encouraging algae to grow)

Here is a list of relatively easy to grow plants (once you apply the above conditions)
http://tropica.com/en/plants/

I love to hate Water Changes! :P
Gregg

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s392/lv2crp/Ca

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 02:28:45 PM »

Hi DaniFishGirl84,

I lost 2 replies due to lack of time, upsetting, but nobody died and 7 billion people could care less.  Of the bat I'd say you tank is very slightly overstocked. Anyway, I sought to rid my display tanks of plastic plants over a year ago and have learned much. They are a 15 long and a 20 high, both with stock weak t8 15 watt bulbs, so very low light. The 15 long has some sunlight at certain parts of the year and that helps. I have med gravel so rooted plants are essentially out.  Here is the 20 high now, very much a work in progress but the plants are growing well and even my anubias is beginning to finally grow well.
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s392/lv2crp/009_zpsz8hdrpgq.jpg I have Anubias nana secured to decor, A. nana secured to driftwood, A. sp. (unknown) tied to a cinder rock with tying thread. There is java fern, doing well, rubber banded to cinder rock, one is the windelov variety, and a loose leaf with alive fernlets are also rubber banded to the drift wood.  The floating plants are pennywort, that with the round leaves, and guppy grass, Najas guadulepensis, that is in all my tanks and is becoming in need of finding a new home, as in all my tanks. My baby platys love this stuff.
This is my 15 long.
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s392/lv2crp/007_zps1plwkwl2.jpg
If you saw it when I started my project it was quite bare.  Here I have, at left, 2 java ferns, one rubber banded to cinder block and one tied to decor with sewing thread. One as well as two anubias were petsmart tube plants and they have always done well for me.  At top is again pennywort and the ubiquitous guppy grass. I should say that my water wisteria died as well, it likes more light. The plant in the aluminum cage is Monosolenium tenerum, a liverwort type plant that I contained in that cage as it is quite unruly.  There is a banana plant that seems alive so I let it stay.  The plastic plants help hold the guppy grass and some java moss in them, and I like their aged look.
These are some I KNOW you would have success with, and I envy your substrate as it will grow rooted stem plants like the Vals well.
This is a java fern tied to decor.
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s392/lv2crp/007_zpsqufhhdx8.jpg
And Anubias nana zip tied to decor.http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s392/lv2crp/003_zpsbgshzgwa.jpg
I hope this could help some.  I do not use Excel, I find it overrated. (most disagree with me) I DO use Flourish however.

Gregg
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 08:00:01 AM »

Just an FYI re Excel, not all plants like it and some will die from it. The most notable varities that do badly with Excel are many of the Vals and Egerias/Anachris (needle leaved plants) and some say Hornwort will suffer. Hornwort is also a cooler water plant. Keeping it too warm can trash it as well.

Over the years I have kept a variety of planted tanks and have used Excel in them all (except the one with pressurized CO2). I never overdose it and I have learned not to keep certain plants in tanks where I use it. Excel is one of those additives that many people think is safe to overdose, especially to kill algae. This is a very bad idea, imo. Used properly, it can be a benefit to many planted tanks, abused and it can kill many things, including fish and inverts.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Gregg

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s392/lv2crp/Ca

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 09:18:46 AM »

I found that it damaged my Monosolenium, and I honestly believed it did my guppy grass no good, though other sites recommend it for that plant.  It was all a learning process for me, I also burnt my plants with salt, as it was suggested as an additive for platy health, wrong.  But I still do not trust this stuff, wish I send a bottle your way.

Gregg
gunnered72

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 240, 100, 70, 50, 30, 30, 25 Litres

Theres more water than air in here :P

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 04:30:40 AM »

Do NOT overdose Excel..............

It will suffocate fish.....

I have found liquid carbon (excel) tends to lower PH a bit and as a result plants that require harder water and a higher PH (particularly Vals) will just melt....

Having said that its an excellent alternative to Co2 injection and is a teriffic algecide....

I love to hate Water Changes! :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's