Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 26, 2017, 01:30:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cloudy tank/Bacterial Bllom  (Read 929 times)
pokey6

Tanks: 6 g, 14g, 36g, 46g,75g, 80g

« on: April 24, 2016, 05:00:13 PM »

Why would after 9 years of my tank being set up would I get a cloudy tank. Is that what bacterial bloom is? Did some reading on here and it seems like it's usually happens on a new tank? Nothing changed or added. 0 ammonia & nitrites 10 nitrates.
husband did a water change and he is good at it. He has his own and decided to do 1 of mine while I worked late. I am sure it was nothing he did.Just wondering why now after being established for so long.

Thanks
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 07:21:56 PM »

Whitish cloudy would indicate a bacterial bloom while a darker/grayish would just indicate to me a bunch of fine crud in the water column. There is another situation if somehow during the water change, the water column somehow got a bunch of teeny tiny bubbles  injected. Take a clear glass and fill about 3/4 full. If the water clears in about two hours and you notice a fine layer of silt-type stuff at the bottom of the glass, then there is fine crud floating around in the water column that is not being taken care of by your mechanical media. If teeny tiny bubbles and the glass clears in 1-2 hours with no residue on the bottom and the tank has not cleared by the time you read this, then there may be air leaking/unintentionally being injected through your filtration loop that may need to be attended. If glass remains relatively whitish cloudy after an hour or two, then it would indicate a bacterial bloom. Mind you, this bloom is not from nitrifying bacteria, but heterotrophic bacteria. They can multiply very quickly from a sudden abundance of waste nutrients let go in the water column. When those nutrients are gone for the most part, then the heterotrophs will also disappear. Excess nutrients could have been released by a change of partial water changing techniques in which detritus cou.d have been stirred up.

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 105 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
pokey6

Tanks: 6 g, 14g, 36g, 46g,75g, 80g

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 06:38:11 PM »

Thanks for your response Russ. I was going to do the glass test when I got home from work today, but my tank cleared up. It was pretty bad so I was in a bit of a panic! I even did about a 75% wc yesterday when I saw it.

Thats a good answer to put a link it somewhere for easy access.

Paula
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 06:51:08 PM »

Glad it cleared up on you  happy

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's