Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

March 23, 2017, 01:16:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Red Bellied Piranhas  (Read 907 times)
Python Man

« on: April 28, 2016, 10:22:48 PM »

Just read the badmans page on red bellies. I can't believe it says due to there size and requirements I do not believe they can be bred in the home aquarium. Guess what I have been doing it the past 8 years! I breed them all the time in a 75 gallon tank! I have a breeding pair in a 75 and 3 breeding pairs in my 210. I guess I am doing something right as the person that wrote the profile on them said it couldn't be done! I think an update is needed my whole family breeds red belly piranhas we have done it for decades.
gunnered72

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 240, 100, 70, 50, 30, 30, 25 Litres

Theres more water than air in here :P

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 01:51:00 AM »

I find the profiles of some of the fish on here to be outdated also...

Lets face it fish keeping is constantly evolving...

And one of the things thats evolving along with it is captive breeding....Fish that in the past were impossible to breed are becoming much more breeder friendly (for want of a better description  lame)

Charles Darwin was spot on!

I love to hate Water Changes! :P
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 07:38:07 AM »

There are a lot of misconceptions about Red Bellied Piranhas left scattered across the net and in older books and publications. Besides the captive breeding information is the notion that they are not community fish and should not be placed with other fish.

Here at Badmans, we are always looking for updated information and need to rely on our member's experiences, observations and outcomes of their endeavors n matters of taxonomy, care and general husbandry.  There is a caveat to this. Irrespective of great information rendered in a post reply, it is requested that members actually submit their fish profile(s) and other interesting stories and pictures to Badmans. While it is not impossible to scavenge the boards for new threads and replies for updated information by member posts, the resources needed to do this is not practical for our staff to do this in a timely manner. All of staff have full time jobs during the day.

The captive breeding of Piranhas is a great accomplishment and I am in no way diminishing your accomplishment and the information you mentioned in this thread. Keep the great info coming  happy

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 96 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Python Man

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 11:43:04 PM »

If anyone is interested in things I learned over the years with red bellies, read on. I found you can never add other fish to the tank when they are young. They will be eaten. However, as they grow to 8 inches I have found they are to lazy to chase fish and just wait for their meat I give them daily. I currently have 6 red bellies in my 210 with 2 nice schools of red eye tetras and blood fins. 50 red eyes 20 blood fins. I count them everyday almost and they are still all there and have been for 2 years. The pairs I have were made from a shoal of 30 the size of a dime years ago. Which came from fry from my first breeding pair in my 75 gallon. When they paired off the others where separated. My piranhas are all over 8 inches now in my 210. never had a problem with them eating other fish. Currently they have been eating the scraps of my last deer that I shot during bow hunting. Normally I throw a half pound of beef heart in the tank per day that I get from my local butcher. The constant feeding of fresh red meat has really made them thrive. If I want them to breed all I have to do is lower the water temp when I do a water change. I keep my tank at 80 but when I want them to breed I go down to 74 and they start digging nests in a day or less to spawn. In the wild they breed in the rainy season, a significant drop in water temperature will trigger breeding if you have a healthy, thriving shoal. My first pair in my 75 for some reason prefer pork over the beef so they get boneless pork chops. They have grown to dreadnaught dimensions with this rich diet. The male is 10 and hefty and the female 13 with a belly so big and wide its scary. At least 4 inches wide after eating a full pork chop.  They have the whole 75 to themselves. With the rich diet all my piranhas receive strong filtration is a must. I run 4 Fluval FX5's on my 210 with a UV sterilizer. All outputs facing one way the length of the tank to simulate river current. For my 75 gallon I run 1 Fluval FX5. Another tip is use big pieces of driftwood for a current break mine will always spawn in a more slack area of the tank but love the strong current when they are not breeding. They actually school and swim the current constantly with only a small area of slack water in the tank right below the filter outputs. All of these factors have made me be able to breed piranhas at will. I hope any piranha fans that want to breed them find this useful...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 11:48:52 PM by Python Man » Logged
gunnered72

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 240, 100, 70, 50, 30, 30, 25 Litres

Theres more water than air in here :P

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 04:25:16 AM »

Excellent info!

One of these days I will set up a Piranha tank...It is  a dream of mine...

Thanks for the great observations...Ya cant beat personal practical experience when it comes to knowledge of fish species in a captive environment...

I love to hate Water Changes! :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's