Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 23, 2017, 04:18:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Ruby Tank Mates?  (Read 3196 times)
Jester

United States United States

« on: May 04, 2016, 09:07:04 AM »

Hi new to this site I frequent A couple of other Forums as well.so this will be my first post here.I recently set up A 65 gallon tank 3' version using Black sand for Substrate.After having Mbuna for 5 plus years I just got into fishkeeping again after taking A break for A few years.

I wanted to Go A different route this time around and though I loved my Mbuna anyone who has them knows they are just so darn territorial and if you dont get the male female ratios right it could be An issue.on top of that get one bad apple as A fish and that could spin your hole tank into chaos.So I decided to go the Barb route although smaller they are quite active fish with A unique personality's which is exactly what I was looking for.

So at first I thought about doing an all tiger tank with different Variants and I was pretty sure I was going to go this route until I saw what is now in my tank,which is Black Ruby barbs.I knew these fish were hard to come by in my area anyway so I really did not give them much thought but when I saw them I just had to snatch up these beauties.

I now have (9) black rubys which looks to be 6 male 3 female cannot be positive but I am going to be looking to add another species soon,My third is going to be A bottom feeder something to go with the black sand,I am looking at A shoal of Metae or Panda cory's something with the white coloring to stand out against the black sand but next up is my complimentary fish to my Black Rubys

My Ruby's are quite active swimming all over the tank at every level so I am looking for A high energy fish that will not be intimidated by them I would love to go with A snakeskin or pentazona barb shoal next but I don't think that would work as both species are a bit on the shy side and the high activity of the black rubys may not mesh well with them so here are A few of the species I have been looking at that I think may compliment and mesh well with the Black Ruby's And A shoal of Cory's please tell me what you think.

6-8 Odessa Barbs  (I think their coloring with the black sand and the color of the black ruby's would look really nice together)

6-8  Red Serpae tetras  (I really like these guys but like the ruby's they are voracious eaters and my fear is there would be nothing getting to the bottom of the tank for my
                                                                corys this may be too much red in the tank not quite sure yet)

8-10  red Phantoms tetras (this is A more docile tetra than the red serpae with very similar coloring and I think A little smaller as well,this may pose A problem with the high
                                                            energy level of the Ruby's as red phantoms can be shy around very active fish)

6-8    Buenes Aires Tetras   (this is An attractive tetra and would have the right temperament and energy to go with the Ruby's they can grow to about 3-4 inches however so
                                                                if I go this route I may have to stay with just the buenes/Rubys & corys as I don't want to overcrowd unlike africans these shoaling fish
                                                                      like their space)

6-8 Congo tetras    ( this is A beautiful fish but again falls into that category of is this fish too timid for the high activity of the Ruby's)

so that is my list of fish that I have taken an interest in mixing with my Black Rubys and eventually Cory's please if anyone has any other suggestions on A fish that would compliment these two I am open to any suggestions or opinions I would prefer to be able to house 4 species of fish my present Black rubys with A shoal of Cory's adding two more mid to high tier fish without overstocking again I am open to any suggestions or opinions.

I know I did not mention it but I am sure my filtration is more than adequate I am running An aquatop cf400 and if more filtration is needed I can always put an AC70 on the back of my tank if needed.

Thanks everyone look forward to getting some opinions and ideas as I am going to start searching over the next couple of weeks the 3 LFS in my area that I trust and usually have A nice variety of Fish I bounce between the three as they all have similar pricing and their tanks are always looking clean and well maintained!

Jester

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 05:10:35 PM »

I'm yet to get any replies on this thread but I just wanted to throw one more fish into the mix I think a nice group of diamond tetras may compliment the black rubys rather well though not drastic like other fish their fins do look to have some flow to them not a lot so they may be alright with the rowdy ruby's
Pat Mary

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 05:55:20 PM »

Hi, Jester.  I have never had any Ruby Barbs but I found this link to a profile for them.  It gives a list of suitable tankmates:     http://bettatrading.com.au/Black-Ruby-Barb-Fact-Sheet.php

When in doubt, do a water change.
Jester

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 06:46:35 PM »

Thanks for the link Pat I think it's going to wind up coming down to what I can find locally as until I'm ready to go add A batch I will probably go back and forth a dozen times hopefully someone who has black rubys will see my post and chime in on what other species they are housing their ruby's with!
Gregg

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s392/lv2crp/Ca

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 05:58:23 PM »

Hi Jester,

I looked at the fact list and saw that the black skirt tetra was there. Like your barb it is quite OK with mid to low tropical temperatures and is made of iron as gar as I'm concerned.  They can compete with any fish for food, and are enjoy most the mid and top levels, so what makes it to your corys would be eaten by them and the barbs. A cory for your barb tank I think might be the peppered cory, Corydorus paleatus, which can do well at lower temps as well. But whatever, a shoal of 5-7 black skirts or more would be sweet. Good luck!

Gregg
Jester

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 07:54:44 PM »

So it's been some time before I posted this message since then I've added some plants to my tank after never had plants before and my black rubys seem to love them it makes my tank look much nicer than having just plastic plants I have also upped my black ruby count to 10.

Getting back to the subject at hand after a lot of researching and going back and forth I've decided to add a shoal of 8-10 diamond tetras to my black rubys the lfs that I deal with will be getting a batch in about a week.

I think they will compliment my rubys as well as look dazzling with my black sand as they mature.from what I've read they can be just as active as my ruby's and won't be intimidated by the ruby's high activity level.

One minir concern I have is my ph I have read Diamonds prefer water on the slightly acidic side where mine us slightly alkaline at 7.3 I don't see that being a major issue as far as temps go my tank usually is about 76-77 degrees so the temps should not be an issue.

I would love some feed back from others who presently have or have kept diamond tetras my gut tells me they will be a good mix with my black ruby's I would love to hear some opinions however good or bad.

Thank-you
superfish

Taiwan Taiwan

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 10:06:24 AM »

Barb fish and corydoras are the good choice

Bart

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 08:24:22 PM »

I know this is a fairly old thread, but I thought I would add my experience.  I currently have 3 black ruby barbs with 3 odessa barbs and 8 cherry barbs (and a few other odd fish).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation