Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

May 26, 2017, 07:55:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penn-Plax Cascade 1000 canister filter  (Read 2388 times)
fuzzycatz

Tanks: 29g: 8 Black Neon Tetras, 7 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 1 Bolivian Ram, 1 amano shrimp, and a nerite snail

« on: May 05, 2016, 11:56:26 AM »

Hi everyone!

In my continuing saga to get my new/used 55 gallon tank up and running, I have now run into a problem with this filter. It came used with the tank and stand, and I was assured by the previous owners that it worked. Of course, it being craigslist, I think I was duped.

My husband and I tried to get it up and running last night, but after two hours and a lot of swear words, we couldn't get it primed and going. We tried filling the canister with water, and that didn't work either. We plugged the motor unit and could hear it running, but then it would stop. I noticed too that there was a sandy sound in the motor unit. I'm wondering if they didn't suck up sand from their planted tank.

So my questions, has anyone taken apart a motor unit to fix it, is it advisable, and at what point do I give it up and buy a new one?

Thanks for any help!
susan
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 12:50:13 PM »

I googled your filter under " Penn-Plax Cascade 1000 troubleshooting"  and "Penn-Plax Cascade 1000 user manual" and came up with many different links.  I couldn't decide on which one to link for you so decided that you should decide.  So, go ahead and google it and see what you want.   Smiley

When in doubt, do a water change.
fuzzycatz

Tanks: 29g: 8 Black Neon Tetras, 7 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 1 Bolivian Ram, 1 amano shrimp, and a nerite snail

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 01:05:23 PM »

I've spent all morning googling, with no luck, and last night we tried all the suggestions on getting it started. I thought I would see if anyone on here had some personal experience with this filter and the motor unit before I took the whole unit apart Smiley
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 10:22:29 PM »

It's highly unlikely that sand or other matter wound up in the motor. That is sealed and uses the magnetic properties of the impeller unit to move water into and out of the filter unit.

(1) The sandy-grinding sound you may have heard is most likely sand or other gritty substrate that got caught in the impeller assembly. When this happens, the sand or grit particles can grind and scratch the magnet of the impeller assembly. When enough scratches and groove are created on the surface of the impeller assembly magnet, it could cause the impeller to rotate unevenly and eventually stop/freeze. I would check out that possibility and try replacing the whole impeller assembly for the filter.

(2) You shouldn't need to 'add' water manually to the filter compartment. After inserting the intake and outflow tube into the aquarium, rapidly press the priming button. When doing this, you should see the inflow tube filling with water and then traveling into the filter compartment and filling also (essentially you are priming a siphon). If you are pushing down on the priming button and not seeing any water filling up in the inflow tubing, then there must be an issue with the priming mechanism, possibly an air leak or broken/worn component.

(3) If the priming mechanism is inoperative, all may not be lost. You mentioned that you manually filled the filter compartment and it still did not pump water. That may have been caused by the large air gap in the tubing. Try filling the tubing with aquarium water in addition to filling the filter compartment, then fire it up.

(4) Another possibility is the main O-ring. Try ordering and replace it for your filter model.

Hindsight is a double edge sword. Frustrating when doesn't work as expected, but a learning experience none-the-less.

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 309 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
fuzzycatz

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 04:41:35 PM »

Thank you for the tips, but nothing seemed to work. My husband was nice enough to get me a new filter for Mother's Day. I might still try to get the old one running, and I'm almost positive there is sand somewhere in the motor unit. I took the impeller out and could still hear sand when I shook the entire unit.

I'm on to fishless cycling now! Wish me luck.
Pat Mary

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 04:44:40 PM »

Good luck!  Smiley

When in doubt, do a water change.
curve

I LOVE MY BULLDOG

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 05:41:57 PM »

Not the most glamorous method, but will work every time...start with the filter and tubing empty of all water. Put the intake to the filter in the water. Suck in on the return hose until you see and hear the canister filling with water. Then place the return immediately in the tank and wait a minute or two for the canister to completely fill as well as the water fill the return tubing. Then plug it in. Should work every time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation