Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 21, 2017, 07:52:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Convict with other fish  (Read 1927 times)
Bishop

United States United States

« on: May 06, 2016, 05:13:20 PM »

Hello I am new here. I currently have a 55 gallon tank containing 1 male convict cichlid about 2 inches, 7 tiger barbs, 1 rainbow shark and 6 serpae tetras, I have read that cons are very aggressive especialy when there is a breeding pair. I do not want a "pair" only my 1 male. I am soon upgrading to a 120 gal and will want to add more fish. I would like to try either angels or brichardi cichlids. I have read to the brichardis are a "schooling" cichlid so that would be what i most likely want. My question is will these fish be ok together, especialy when the con matures ?
Pat Mary

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 06:46:52 PM »

There is one rule in keeping cichlids that is the most important and that is this.  You must never mix New World and African cichlids.  Convicts are New World and brichardis are African. They do not understand each other and that mixture will only end in death.  I would suggest that you read up on cichlids and check the profiles of the ones which most interest you.  Not all Africans can live together either so be sure that they are compatible if that is the direction you decide on.

When in doubt, do a water change.
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 07:32:57 PM »

I wouldn't necessarily classify Brichardis as 'schooling' fish. They are more 'colonizing'-type fish. Either way, I agree with Pat Mary's assessment.

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 145 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
gunnered72

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 240, 100, 70, 50, 30, 30, 25 Litres

Theres more water than air in here :P

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 02:15:06 AM »

African Rift Lake Cichlids (Tanganyikan and Malawi) must be kept in Rift Lake style setups (High PH and lots and lots of rockwork and caves)

There are African Riverine Cichlids like Kribensis, Transvestitus etc etc that do not require these special conditions...

Cichlids of all kinds are generally not classed as a schooling fish....

Convicts (as a single specimen) generally mind their own business when kept in a tank with quicker more robust fish....BUT! put a female and male Convict in together and watch all hell break loose...They will destroy everything in there once they breed...

Angels wouldnt be a problem with a single Convict....More of a problem would be the Tiger Barbs and Serpae Tetras...Both of these fish will shred any Angels fins (no matter how many you have in your groups)

Both of these species are very prone to fin nipping even when kept in large groups!

I love to hate Water Changes! :P
Bishop

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 07:45:31 PM »

ok thanks for the advice, i will stay away from africans, yes I learned the hard way about the tiger barbs and serpaes fin nipping when they harrassed my swordtails to the point i had to put them in my daughters small 20 gal tank,i only recently got the convict "about 2 months ago, my tank was a "peacefull" community setup untill i had to remove my swordtails because of the tigers and serpaes, at that point i decided to go with more aggressive fish so i got the con,and rainbow shark my shark does great at cleaning the tank of algea and stays to himself for the most part, so basicly i should stick with south american cichlids that do not have long fins ??, also i do not want anything that will be HUGE in size or highly aggressive, i prefer to stick with 6-7 inch max with a "semi" aggressive temperment any suggestions ?
Pat Mary

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 08:28:31 PM »

I know that I am going to sound very negative here but I feel that I have to say this.

From the little bit that you have posted, I think that you are pretty new to fishkeeping of any species.  You have not done much research of  fish prior to purchasing them as far as I can tell.  In my opinion, you have found fish that strike your fancy and bring them home and then ask questions on line to see if what you have, or what you want to have, will be compatible.   If you want a semi-aggressive tank, it is not a good idea to start out with one unless you have spent much time in researching species and getting ideas of what can happen in a semi-aggressive tank and being sure that you have backup equipment at the ready in case your plans do not work out.

Fishkeeping requires lots and lots of patience.  In fact, I think that it takes more study than many other hobbies because the keeper is dealing  with living creatures.  It is not just putting a bunch of fish into a container and then watching to see what happens. 

It also isn't a bad idea to sort of stick around to see if you will get any answers.  We are slower at answering on week-ends but normally someone will answer your questions relatively quickly.  That will come in handy when and if you have a crisis that needs to be handled as soon as possible.

When in doubt, do a water change.
gunnered72

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 240, 100, 70, 50, 30, 30, 25 Litres

Theres more water than air in here :P

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 11:55:19 PM »

Central American Cichlids might be more to your liking and more suitable to your situation...

Firemouths, Elliotti, Sajica, Honduran Redpoints etc etc.... They are 5 inch average Cichlids (max size) are less aggressive and will mix well with Tiger Barbs, Serpaes and each other...

Just avoid the ones that grow larger and avoid the more aggressive ones like Jack Dempseys etc....

Research and asking experienced opinions is key with ALL fish! (Especially Cichlids)

I love to hate Water Changes! :P
Bishop

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 04:40:52 AM »

OK no i am not "new" to fish keeping, i have been into the hobby for about 5 years but have never kept south American cichlids, only 2 months ago i bought my convict, as for research, i do my research but i find numerous different forums and fish profiles that all say different things, i have read that convicts are generally ok with other fish as long as not a breeding pair and i have also read that they are terrorists, as for my experience with the tiger barbs and serpaes nipping my swordtails, I've read that tigers and serpaes are "community" peaceful fish but my experience taught me that they are very nippy, i was asking about the brichardis because i read that they are peaceful for the most part, my only exp with cichlids was with peacocks with my ex gf and when her and I split up she kept the tank. i am completely unfamiliar with south Americans. As i said I am upgrading to a 120 gal tank from a 55 and I am here to ask the advice of others who have personal exp with these fish.I will have the 55 gallon as a "backup" tank if need be. I am not looking for advice from people that go read something then tell me what they read because as i said there are 100s of different things to read online and i am looking for opinions and advice from those who have personal exp. Each fish is different and I find that experience is the best teacher rather than reading
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation