Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 26, 2017, 03:36:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Many Angelfish In A 55 Gallon Tank  (Read 2270 times)
DawnMichele

United States United States

« on: May 17, 2016, 04:54:51 PM »

Hi everyone!!!! My name is Dawn and IM new here. I have a 125 Gallon tank with one Oscar named Big Boy. I had a 55 gallon African Cichlid tank and they became too aggressive for me. IM thinking about getting some Angelfish and I was wondering how many I could get and what other tank mates would be good for them. Thank you.
Pat Mary

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 05:15:11 PM »

Hi, Dawn and welcome to Badman's!  It's good to have you here.  Smiley

Here is a link to the profile for angels.  It really talks  about breeding but also gives information on tank size, temp, etc.     http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile9.html

One thing to keep in mind about them is that, even though they are not as aggressive as Africans, they still are cichlids.  As far as tankmates are concerned, anything that is smaller than their mouths will be considered as prey.  That leaves out species like neon tetras, for example.  Also be sure that the tankmates are not fin-nippers such as black skirt tetras or serape tetras.  Here is a link to our whole profile section.  It is definitely not complete as there are so many species out there.  But, it will give you some ideas of what you can keep with angels.
http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profile.html

When in doubt, do a water change.
DawnMichele

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 05:50:07 PM »

Hi Mary!!!! Thanks for the information. What do you think about Pictus Catfish?
Pat Mary

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 06:02:40 PM »

I like them but I honestly have never had them with angelfish.  It sounds to me that they would be ok but I hope that someone with experience with them will chime in.

DawnMichele

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 06:04:58 PM »

I was thinking maybe instead of getting the Angelfish. Any suggestions about what I might want to get? Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate!
Pat Mary

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 06:15:52 PM »

I think that one of the hardest things to do in this hobby is to decide on what you want to keep.  There are so many beautiful fish out there.  If you are completely open to what can be kept, I would read up on the profiles and see what you really want.  You will change your mind every 5 minutes.  Smiley  But, as long as you keep their requirements in mind and see that they can be kept together, you will have a wonderful tank.  Just keep an open mind.  happy

russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 10:00:44 PM »

I think that one of the hardest things to do in this hobby is to decide on what you want to keep.  There are so many beautiful fish out there.  If you are completely open to what can be kept, I would read up on the profiles and see what you really want.  You will change your mind every 5 minutes.  Smiley  But, as long as you keep their requirements in mind and see that they can be kept together, you will have a wonderful tank.  Just keep an open mind.  happy

Ditto to what Pat Mary said and welcome aboard  welcome

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 484 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
DawnMichele

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 08:50:44 AM »

Thank you so much for your help!!!!
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 12:43:16 PM »

DawnMichele- I have always used a very simple system for how I choose my fish. I look at pictures of fish in books and online. Anything that catches my eye as something that looks interesting, I then get to work researching to see if I can keep it in my water and in the size tanks I have. I also want to check into with what other fish it is compatible with since some fish will fight with or try to eat other fish. If I discover that the desired fish can thrive in my setups, then its just a question of deciding to get it or not.

I do not care what a fish has cost me, I enjoy watching them all whether they cost me pennies or a couple of $100s. I just hate losing an expensive one more when it happens.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
DawnMichele

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 01:12:13 PM »

Thank you!!!! That makes a lot of sense. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation