Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 26, 2017, 01:30:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Melafix For Angelfish  (Read 921 times)
DawnMichele

United States United States

« on: May 23, 2016, 07:32:45 AM »

Hello. I just noticed my new Angelfish has a sore on his side and I was wondering if I could use Melafix in the tank? Thank you.
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 08:29:59 AM »

Melafix is one of those things that sparks disagreements in the hobby. Some swear it is great and other that it does little to help real issues. The one thing I do know is, used as directed, it should not harm anything. Imo, it is only useful in treating minimal infections. It may promote some healing. But if one has a serious bacterial issue, I would leave the Melafix on the shelf and get "real" antibiotics.

When you say a sore, can you be more specific or even post a picture? Wounds on fish can heal fine on their own in clean water, or they may become infected or fungus may form, or both. If there are no signs of either of these, I would just go with clean water at first and monitor. If the sore gets larger, gets "fuzz" on it or it looks to be spreading or changing color, then meds would be in order.

If you want to start with Melafix, go ahead. It might help and it wont hurt as I mentioned. The stuff smells awful though :p

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
DawnMichele

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 09:06:39 AM »

Hello. It's just a little sore I noticed. No fuzz or anything. I put a little Melafix in the tank. I figured it wouldn't hurt. If anything changes I will let you know. Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation