Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

March 23, 2017, 01:23:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Planaria and Unknown pest  (Read 918 times)
Bibo

Canada Canada

Tanks: 6 gallon Eheim cube

« on: June 04, 2016, 09:17:28 PM »

I currently have a fishless tank. I've been slowly accumulating plants to aquascape. It's just a 6 gallon cube nano. I started off with a fishless cycle about 4 months ago. I got new plants a month ago, then I went on vacation.
      I came back, tested the water and the nitrates are 10ppm, nitrites are 0, ammonia is 0.25. Ph is a constant 7.4.

I have planaria and another bug that looks exactly like a freshly hatched brine shrimp. It's a freshwater tank though, so it can't be that - can it?

I was hoping to put 2 adfs in there in the next week or so, but I guess I've got to get all this cleared up first. Will the planaria actually cause harm? Or will the frogs just eat them? What about the other creature (I obviously can't get a picture they are WAY WAY too small.

If you are absent during my struggle, don't expect to be present during my success. - Will Smith
Bibo

Canada Canada

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 09:45:17 PM »

Ok, just googled planaria and it looks nothing like what I'm seeing in the images. What I have are tiny white worms. The things on google images look like slugs.

And the other bug looks like brine shrimp. Little white moving dots.

If you are absent during my struggle, don't expect to be present during my success. - Will Smith
Sheralyn

United States United States

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 08:35:53 AM »

Google 'scuds'? They look like little shrimp. If that is what they are they are harmless to the best of my knowledge.
Bibo

Canada Canada

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 12:57:45 PM »

alright googled scuds, I don't think it's that. Those things look way too big.

I did a little research and I think they might be cyclops, but they are so small you can't really make out any distinguishing characteristics. Some have two tails, some have one and the ones that are really small just look like dots and you can't make out a tail at all.
     I think the white worms are nematodes. But I only saw the one and haven't seen it since. According to this http://www.planetinverts.com/what_is_that_bug_in_my_aquarium.html both are harmless

If anyone has more info, feel free to share.

Tom.E

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 04:28:56 PM »

How they swim can also infer some information.

Copepods, a/k/a cyclops, swim in a herky-jerky motion. They move by paddling their front antennae. I think that’s your first bugger.

Swimming “dots” in an aquarium are usually ostracods. These little guys zip around the tank or scurry around the substrate.

See if that helps

Tom
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 05:10:19 PM »

Here is a link to a Cyclops image:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/TZo0r6ALBoU/maxresdefault.jpg

...and a link to Daphnia image:

http://mlb-s2-p.mlstatic.com/daphnias-cultura-inicial-16646-MLB20123920005_072014-O.jpg

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Bibo

Canada Canada

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 06:55:42 PM »

Thanks Tom, but I don't have anything in my aquarium that big! I'm still thinking cyclops by your description and what I have found.

Russ: confirming yet further still that I have cyclops, not daphnia. I have seen another small white worm and I'm thinking a nematode of some sort but from what I've read there are 20 000 species of nematode. So it's anyone's guess if they're harmful or not. Should I get rid of them?

What about the cyclops? Will they hurt anything? I've read that they are also very diverse and we call them cyclops in the fish-keeping community because that is their order - which means it's like saying I have a carnivore in my house. It could be anything.

russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 08:16:05 PM »

The Cyclops will not hurt anything except themselves if caught out in the open by a fish. Yum Wink

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Bibo

Canada Canada

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 08:56:44 PM »

Russ: awesome. Maybe a couple more weeks to let my plants settle in now that I've added a decent amount of substrate for aquascaping and then: FROGS! fishless cycling for 4 months go me... not necessary I know but fun because I can wait until I have the spare cash to spend on nice stuff and make it very beautiful.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation