Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

March 23, 2017, 01:20:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shubunkins and Dojo Loaches  (Read 1199 times)
Sookie

United States United States

« on: June 08, 2016, 10:13:35 AM »

I have a 75 gallon with 2 Shubunkins. My female is 8" and the male 7". We keep the tank bare bottom with current running across the bottom to help with the sheer quantity of waste these guys produce. The current is enough to push all the waste into our intake. This weekend we are planning on getting a waste settling system added. I will place floating plants in this to get some additional help with nitrates.  I do have artificial plants in the tank because my female (Miss Piggy) eats any and all live plants I have tried.

The tank is very well established. We have not seen ammonia or nitrites in years. I have owned both of my shubunkins since they were only a couple inches long. We previously kept cichlids until a move forced us to sell and re-home our breeding groups.

I am wondering if I place some of my old cichlid caves in the tank can I put in a group of Dojo Loaches?

Thank-you for your opinions and advice with this in advance. Sookie
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 12:04:35 PM »

Here is the profile for the Dojo loach:     http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile103.html

As you can see, they need a sand substrate or very small, smooth gravel because they like to bury themselves.   They also don't like much current. 

If you vacuum the bottom once a week when you do your water changes, you won't have to push the waste into the intake.  It can wreak havoc on your filter.  Plants can use some of the nitrates but they only help control nitrates if the tank is extremely heavily planted.  That doesn't really work with having goldfish because they need some vegetation in their diet.   The best thing to do in this case is to keep up with water changes which will remove those nitrates.

Welcome to Badman's! welcome

When in doubt, do a water change.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation