Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

June 28, 2017, 12:31:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cyanobacteria transfer  (Read 1607 times)
fuzzycatz

Tanks: 29g: 8 Black Neon Tetras, 7 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 1 Bolivian Ram, 1 amano shrimp, and a nerite snail

« on: June 14, 2016, 11:16:57 AM »

Hi Everyone!

My 55 gal. is almost cycled (waiting for the nitrites to drop) and I'll be moving the contents of my 29 gal. to the new tank. One organism I don't want to take with me is the cyanobacteria I have been battling. Any suggestions on how I can avoid transferring it to the new tank while still keeping my driftwood and decorations from the old tank? Is there a safe way to clean it or remove it?
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 02:00:31 PM »

I'm a little confused.  I didn't remember you having any blue green algae (cyanobacteria) before so I looked back and found that you did have green beard algae back in 2012.  Is that what you really meant and do you still have it after treating it?

To me, the easiest way to ensure that I don't transfer algae would be  to let the decorations sit out in the sun for a couple of days.  This would dry the algae and you could just brush the remaining dry pieces off.  Then, be sure that you are keeping your lights on for the minimum amount of time for your plants and keep your plants fertilized so that they can fight the algae. 

When in doubt, do a water change.
fuzzycatz

Tanks: 29g: 8 Black Neon Tetras, 7 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 1 Bolivian Ram, 1 amano shrimp, and a nerite snail

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 12:33:08 PM »

I still have it despite my repeated attempts to treat it. I'll try setting the plastic plants and driftwood in the sun. How about real plants? I notice they have a bit of it on them as well.
Pat Mary

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 01:00:57 PM »

Try to rub it off with your fingers.  In case you have forgotten how to control algae, here is a basic link to read.     http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=16+2154&aid=3416

Pat Mary

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 05:08:34 PM »

You can probably never get rid of all algae.  You just have to control it.  So, if you have "a bit of algae on the leaves", that is not bad.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's