Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 18, 2017, 01:37:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: stocking plan for 75 gallon tank?  (Read 2147 times)
Sheralyn

United States United States

« on: June 28, 2016, 11:14:04 AM »

I have an established 75 gallon with a 110 Aquaclear and a good bubbler. My water is 3 KH, 5 GH and PH of 7.6. For this reason I will be changing from my current livebearer stock to soft water fish. I would like to get input on this list of fish:

4 silver dollars
8-10 tiger barbs
5-8 skirt tetras
3-4 pictus cat

What say you?
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 05:43:20 PM »

It depends on whose information your trust, here is what SeruiouslyFish says about the pictus cats:

Peaceful enough but bear in mind this is a predatory species. Unfortunately it’s often sold as a bottom dweller for the community of smaller fish, a situation which must have led to the deaths of countless neons, guppies and similarly-sized species. It’s really only suitable for roomy tanks with occupants that can’t be swallowed. It can also bother slower-moving tankmates (such as many cichlids) with its activity levels and long barbels, especially at night or when feeding. Robust, active species therefore make the best tankmates. Rainbowfish, medium to large-sized characins, cyprinids and tough catfish such as Loricariids or Doradids are all suitable.

Although a single specimen will survive by itself, it’s a shoaling species by nature and will be much more outgoing and active when maintained in a group of six or more. If kept alone it tends to remain hidden during daylight hours, emerging only after lights out.
from http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pimelodus-pictus/

Tiger barbs can also be fin nippers- they are less of a problem with other fish the more barbs your have. Go with 10 over 8. The biggest aggression issues occur when there are too few of these fish.

Up the silver dollar to at least 5 or more. They are big veggie eaters and this includes many live plants.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 06:25:06 PM »

I'll tend to agree on the pictus cats. I might also add to not get the long-finned varieties of the skirted tetras. I have to respectfully disagree with adding 5 more silver dollars which will bring that total to 9. The silver dollars can get a bit large for even a 75 gal tank. Maybe add just one more to bring a total of 5. I don't believe you need to add any bottom-dwelling fish either (such as corys). The tiger barbs will do a good job of combing the bottom for food bits.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Sheralyn

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 06:57:22 PM »

Thanks guys - I kind of thought the Pictus were not going to work but wasn't sure. I did know they would limit me on anything like neons or ottos. I really like the Tigers, I was going to take a chance on them but I want a happy tank.

New List:

5 silver dollars
8 skirt tetra
15 neons
some ottos

I think that will be an attractive, gentle and uncrowded group.

My mom wants my fish - she's a "Skittler". I hesitated to let her have them but then I thought she'll just buy more at the Petsmart so what's the difference. She's old and stubborn - has told me in the past to mind my own business.
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 09:54:39 AM »

@russ- not to pick nits, but I did not suggest adding 5 more silver dollars, I said "Up the silver dollar to at least 5 or more" which means adding at least one and more if desired :-) http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/metynnis-hypsauchen/

There are so many fw fish from such a diversity of locations worldwide. When mixing species from locations where such fish would never ever meet offers challenges to hobbyists. The issue of compatibility is a central one. It takes a bunch of research to know if fish from different locations can be kept together.

I am somewhat of a fan of Seriouslyfish as I regularly correspond with one of the folks currently doing species updates on the site. I have always used it, here and Mongabay as my general go to sites on species information. Caveat- all 3 will not always agree on everything specieswise.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Sheralyn

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 11:21:51 AM »

I am going to pick up my Silver Dollars this evening because I want to set them up to acclimate for the next couple of days so they are ready to go straight into my tank when I take out my existing fish. I want to do this in the most careful way possible. This is my plan:

1. get a couple gallons extra water from the Vendor
2. put them in a plastic tote with the extra water, a small established filter, a mini heater (if necessary) and an airstone (tip the container if need be at first)
3. partially cover the tote with a towel and set up a dripline from my tank. Let it drip pretty good a few hours until I double their water, then slow it way down until I'm ready to put them in my tank.

any suggestions?
Pat Mary

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 11:50:12 AM »

Be sure that you don't add any of the water from the vendor to your tank.  When you are ready to add them, net the fish and transfer them to your tank without the water.  Also, be sure that you quarantine the next additions for 4-6 weeks before you add them to the tank.

Once the silver dollars are in your tank, monitor them to watch for any ammonia or nitrite spike.  Do the same thing with the next additions to the tank just to be sure that your bacteria colony is large enough to accommodate the new fish.

When in doubt, do a water change.
Sheralyn

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 12:51:04 PM »

Thanks Pat - will do!
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 07:42:17 AM »

@russ- not to pick nits, but I did not suggest adding 5 more silver dollars, I said "Up the silver dollar to at least 5 or more" which means adding at least one and more if desired :-) http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/metynnis-hypsauchen/

Pick one: Didn't have my glasses on, was having a dumb attack, read the reply too fast, wasn't thinking clear enough.  lame Bottom line still resulted in the appropriate recommendation about the Silver Dollars. Good catch, sorry about that  happy

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Sheralyn

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 10:37:36 AM »

Thanks for your input Guys,
I now have:

5 silver dollars - 10 serpae tetras - 8 zebra danios   (with my single surviving cory, BN cat, and 2 otto)

I did buy 8 skirts but I had too much white/silver in the tank, and they let me exchange them for the serpae. The fish store was out of neons so I grabbed a few danios to hold their spot in the bio.

The SD had been heavily nibbled upon but their fins appear to be recovering. The serpae have formed a beautiful shoal and are behaving nicely. The danios are just spastic  lame

There is lots of room, and I will be adding my neons and a few more corys and ottos. I will lose the danios when I add enough neons. I'm thinking to end up with a nice group of 20 or so.

Which gives us an end result of 5 silver dollars, 10 serpae, and 20 neons, not counting the ground crew. If they hold in shoals they will be soooo pretty, and still have plenty of room.

And I wanted to say (knock on wood) - out of the 30 fish I have bought I have not lost one single fish since I changed over to the "soft side". It is amazing to me - I had gotten used to losing half of everything I bought. WOW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation