Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 18, 2017, 01:31:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wild Plant.  (Read 3542 times)
Gregg

United States United States

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s392/lv2crp/Ca

« on: June 29, 2016, 09:20:48 AM »

I came across a very neat plant while fishing, found out it is Potamogeton crispus.  Love the look of it. Has anyone experience with it in the aquarium?

Gregg
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 10:06:03 AM »

I have not kept this plant.

Identification: Potamogeton crispus grows entirely as a submersed aquatic plant with no floating leaves.  Leaves are alternate, 4-10 cm in length and 5-10 mm wide.  Leaves are conspicuously toothed along leaf margins, sessile (attached directly to the stem), narrowly oblong, undulate (wavy like lasagna noodles) with a conspicuous mid-vein.  Leaf tips are obtuse (rounded or blunt), olive-green to reddish-brown, and somewhat translucent. Stems are flattened, channeled, with few branches.  Rhizomes are pale yellow or reddish, rooting at the nodes.  Small flowers (3 mm wide), with greenish-brown or greenish-red sepals form on a terminal spike above the waterline producing 3-4 achenes (fruits) per flower.

The unique seasonal phenology of P. crispus differentiates the species from other submersed aquatic plants found in North American waters.  In the colder regions of its range, turions (the primary reproductive propagule) break dormancy in the fall when water temperatures drop (Nichols and Shaw 1986). P. crispus survives the winter as whole, intact leafy plants (even under thick ice and snow cover) (Stuckey et al. 1978), then grow rapidly in early spring when water temperatures are still quite cool (10-15°C).  In early June plants flower, fruit, and form turions, and then plants senesce by mid-July (Tobiessen and Snow 1983) in most areas of its range.  The winter growth form of P. crispus is morphologically different from its spring or summer growth form, with leaves that are flattened, narrow, and blue-green in color with few stems and thin rhizomes (Tobiessen and Snow 1983).

Size: up to 5 meters in length (Holm et al. 1997)

Native Range: Eurasia, Africa, and Australia (Catling and Dobson 1985)
from http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/GreatLakes/FactSheet.aspx?NoCache=6%2F1%2F2010+12%3A12%3A14+PM&SpeciesID=1134&State=&HUCNumber=

From what I can tell this is not something one would have in a typical tank? I also could not find much about it being used in aquariums.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Gregg

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s392/lv2crp/Ca

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 11:29:46 AM »

Thank you!  I found the same information plus some on line. One man tried but did not get the rhizome, I think it may work if I do get that. Quite different in habits of growth.

Gregg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's