Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

June 29, 2017, 10:53:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: stocking advise  (Read 2088 times)
Ryan
« on: July 11, 2016, 09:05:55 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

so I have been using Aqadvisor and I want to set in stone my fish stocking list and I need help to find the problems in compatibility and I know its going to be overstocked but I have over filtration and do lots of water changes so heres my stocking list

8 x Albino Cory (Corydoras aeneus)
1 x Featherfin Catfish (Synodontis euptera)
3 x Kuhli Loach (Pangio kuhlii)
2 x Dwarf Chain Loach (Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki)
1 x Paradise Fish (Macropodus opercularis)
1 x Betta [Female] (Betta splendens)
3 x Serpae Tetra (Hyphessobrycon eques)
1 x Flying Fox (Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus)
1 x Bolivian Ram (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus)
3 x German Blue Ram (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi)
1 x Twig Catfish (Farlowella vittata)
2 x Gold Barb (Puntius sachsii)
1 x Pictus Catfish (Pimelodus pictus)
3 x Molly (Poecilia sphenops)
30 x Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi)
3 x Dwarf Gourami (Colisa lalia)
1 x Rubbernose Pleco (Chaetostoma sp. aff. Milesi L187a)
6 x Silver Hatchet (Gasteropelecus sternicla)
5 x Black Skirt Tetra (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi)
3 x Cherry Barb (Puntius titteya)
5 x Otocinclus vestitus (Otocinclus vestitus)

if your wondering about the molly im going to have a black molly goldfish
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 03:51:43 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

First of all, we need to know how big the tank is. 

You have many schooling fish in your list.  They need to be in schools.  Three or two, or one is not a school.  Most schooling fish need to be in a school of at least 6 members.  Smaller fish need to be in a larger school and you can sometimes get away with less than six with larger fish.

Have you ever kept fish before? 

When in doubt, do a water change.
Ryan
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 01:04:45 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

its a 75 gallon tank and i changed the stocking

8 x Albino Cory (Corydoras aeneus)
1 x Featherfin Catfish (Synodontis euptera)
3 x Dwarf Chain Loach (Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki)
1 x Paradise Fish (Macropodus opercularis)
1 x Betta [Female] (Betta splendens)
5 x Serpae Tetra (Hyphessobrycon eques)
1 x Flying Fox (Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus)
1 x Bolivian Ram (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus)
3 x German Blue Ram (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi)
1 x Twig Catfish (Farlowella vittata)
5 x Gold Barb (Puntius sachsii)
1 x Pictus Catfish (Pimelodus pictus)
3 x Molly (Poecilia sphenops)
20 x Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi)
3 x Dwarf Gourami (Colisa lalia)
1 x Rubbernose Pleco (Chaetostoma sp. aff. Milesi L187a)
6 x Silver Hatchet (Gasteropelecus sternicla)
5 x Black Skirt Tetra (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi)
5 x Otocinclus vestitus (Otocinclus vestitus)
5 x Black Kuhli (Pangio oblonga)

ok i changed the setup and i couldnt do six fish per school because i wanted to keep variety and it would over stock the tank
Pat Mary

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 01:47:23 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Ryan, you didn't answer my question as to whether or not you have ever kept fish.  From, your reply, I would guess that you haven't. 

I am giving you a link to a thread by one of our best:  Sully.  It talks about "Skittles" which is what you want.     http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php?topic=19079.0

When you set a tank up, the first thing to be done is to do research.  You should learn the needs of the different fish that you are showing interest in.  Then, you stock according to the needs of the fish and not what you want.  If you want many (and I mean many like what you want) fish, you have a couple of choices.  You could set up a community tank with a few species that will co-exist well with each other.  If you want more species, you could set up several species tanks.

Anabantids (which is what Paradise Fish, Bettas and Gouramis are) do not get along well with each other.  They cannot all be kept in the same tank.  Also, you cannot keep more than one male together.  They will fight to the death.  Is that what you want?

Rams, Plecos, Corys Pictus Catfish and Kuhlis are all bottom dwellers.  They need territory.  You do not have enough territory.  Flying Fox does not get along well with catfish. 

Black Skirt Tetras can be fin nippers.  Is that what you want?

You may want to look at your list realistically and do research and cut it down.

When in doubt, do a water change.
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 09:03:57 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Ryan, please don't confuse over stocking a tank with over crowding a tank. Your selection is in the 'over stocking' category. Having a variety is fine, but many of the fish you have listed required much differing water parameters that fall within their basic ideal requisites.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 07:48:13 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I will add two comments. First, the Pimelodus pictus http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pimelodus-pictus/ and the Synodontis eupterus http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/synodontis-euptera/ will likely solve many overstocking problems with your list as sooner or later they will be eating many of the smaller fish on it.

Second, you have chosen fish which prefer different parameters. That means you are putting some number into an environment which is basically hostile to them.

I would recommend that you spend some time reading about water parameters to get some understanding of pH and especially hardness (GH) and temperature in terms of fish and what they need. You can learn about these things here just click on Your First Aquarium at http://fins.actwin.com/aquariafaq.html

I would further suggest you go to this site to research every one of the fish on your list using its Latin name http://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ It will cover almost everything you need to know re needed water parameters, tank size and layout/substrate/lighting, diet and compatibility with other fish.

The proper Latin name for the gold barb is Barbodes semifasciolatus. "Puntius sachsii (Ahl, 1923) is also in common use, but its validity is in doubt and it’s currently considered an ‘uncertain’ synonym of ‘P.‘ semifasciolatus." You have two more of the Latin names incorrect: For Colisia lalia the current name is Trichogaster lalius. For Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki it is Ambastaia sidthimunki. It is not uncommon for some species to be renamed/reclassified over time.

I hope I have not come across on the harsh side, that was not my intent. It is important to do a bunch of homework before getting new fish to insure they will work in whatever setup they will likely be put. It can save you a lot of headaches down the road.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Ryan
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 11:13:26 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

thank you guys ill rethink my stocking plan and i hope ill think of a better stocking plan thank you all
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 08:44:10 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You want to put 79 fish into a 70 gallon tank?!?!?  Good God, are you serious?!?!?!?!  That is enough fish for a lake!

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
Mishellfish
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 02:29:48 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi, have you looked in to bio type aquariums, also would you like fast moving busy fish or a more relaxed environment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation