Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 17, 2017, 01:55:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: dwarf puffer sickness  (Read 2094 times)
blucanary

United States United States

« on: July 21, 2016, 12:01:14 AM »

I've had a dwarf pufferfish for 6 months, healthily, in a five gallon aquarium with an under gravel and hang on back filter.
 is this poisioning, and if so, what more can I do about it?

pertinent info:
 I live in jakarta, and the tap water is non-potable, and the shipment of clean water is late this week (no water change possible)
 He eats only snails I breed myself.
 he eats 3 per day
 3/4 inch long fish
 kept in freshwater
 I've already added as much activated carbon as I can fit into the filter
Pat Mary

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 09:27:33 AM »

What symptoms are you seeing?  You say that your puffer is healthy but the title of this thread is "dwarf puffer sickness? so I'm not exactly sure of what the problem is.  What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?  When you are able to do water changes, how often are they and how much do you change each time?  What is the tank like (do you have substrate, plants, etc)?

When in doubt, do a water change.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 03:48:43 PM »

What makes you think the fish is being poisoned?

It sounds like a good set up from the information you provided, but knowing the answers to Pat mary's questions would help to confirm that.

What makes your water non-potable?  Just because its not fit for your consumption doesn't guarantee the fish can't use it.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
blucanary

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 05:06:46 AM »

my puffer was healthy up until it started refusing to eat or move.  I suspect poisoning because the day before it began acting like this, I changed the water with tap water , instead of drinking water.  ammonia and nitrite are below 1ppm, and nitrate is below 5 ppm. 

the tap water's danger to me varies from bacterial to heavy metal, depending on who I ask. 
he appears to be getting better now, so I think that the carbon is working
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 07:22:27 AM »

Chances are that your tap water is fine for your fish.  The heavy metals are going to cause problems over time.... You will live 70-100 years, that is a lot of time for heavy metals to build up.  you fish won't live that long and probably won't feel any effects of metals within its lifetime.  Of course I am saying that without knowing what heavy metals or what the levels of those metals are, so keep that in mind.

Bacteria problems can go either way, depends on which bacteria.

Glad to hear there was some improvement.  How are things now?

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
Pat Mary

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 09:18:11 AM »

In your "bloated cardinal" thread, you gave tank info that I will assume is approximately the same for this tank with the puffer in it.  You said that you do a water change about once a month and change 40% of the water.  You also said that your ammonia and nitrite are below 1 ppm and nitrates are below 5ppm in this thread.  If you do water changes only once a month, I would highly doubt that your readings are that low except for right after the water change.  I would think that the readings would be much higher right before the water change.  That possibly could be the reason that you thought your puffer was "poisoned".  Test your water again after a week and then again after another week.  When you see that nitrates are beginning to reach 20ppm, do a water change and vacuum.

When in doubt, do a water change.
blucanary

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 08:35:11 PM »

I change the water 25% daily in the pufferfish tank, because in my experience, puffers are more sensitive to water quality than other fish, and 1.25 gallons a day is not a huge amount of water (37 gallons/mo), while 100 gallons a month (50%/ 2 weeks) is.  I did more water changes with drinking water, and his condition has improved.
I will not be adding tap water to his tank again
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 11:30:09 AM »

I change the water 25% daily in the pufferfish tank, ... and 1.25 gallons a day is not a huge amount of water (37 gallons/mo), while 100 gallons a month (50%/ 2 weeks) is.  

I am glad you have solved your concerns, but I have to really questions this math.  50% would be 2.5 gallons and doing that once a week would be 10 gallons a month, not 100.  Its much less water getting changed than 25% per day.

blucanary

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 01:17:47 AM »

the 100 gallons a month is referring to the larger aquarium I have, which only gets 40% change a month, heavy planting, and a lighter stock
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation