Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 17, 2017, 04:16:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swelling on right side of Betta behind pectoral fin  (Read 1541 times)
KDBanick

United States United States

« on: July 24, 2016, 08:08:23 PM »

This form has been created to help us get as much information about your tank as we can. Please answer each question as thoroughly as you can so we can properly evaluate your fish's illness. Just copy and paste this in the new topic field and fill in the information. Our members are always willing to help but many times these questions have to be answered first. This will speed up any advice and hopefully a fast resolution to your problems

Tank Size: 2 gallon

Filtration (include media types i.e. activated carbon, floss, etc): undergravel filter

How long has your tank been set up: 1 year

Using a liquid reagent test kit, please provide the following:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 80 ppm tested today.  Would like it lower.
PH: 7.2

Temperature: 78

Substrate: fine gravel

Décor/Live or fake plants: fake silk plants, live plants

Maintenance (water changes-how much, how often, vacuum, etc): every two weeks, 25%.  Vacuum

dechlorinator: yes, betta plus.  Added Betafix first dose today.  

Who lives in your tank? Include a  listing of inhabitants, feeding schedule, and how long they have had the inhabitants. African Dwarf frog added to tank (by my husband) one month ago. I have not seen any aggressive behavior between the frog and fish.

What symptoms are being exhibited and when did they start: very large swelling behind right pectoral fin.  Fish acting well, eating & swimming normally.  First noticed one week ago. I have a few good pics but not sure how to post them, new user!  

Pat Mary

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 09:48:27 AM »

One thing that stands out to me is your nitrate reading of 80ppm.  Readings should stay under 20ppm with an ideal reading of around 5-10ppm.  This can be corrected by doing more water changes and larger quantities.  Most of us here do approximately 50% of a change, once per week.

Lumps and bumps are hard to diagnose.  Here is an article about them:     http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article25.html

You won't be able to post pictures until you have a minimum of 10 posts.  This was done to control spam and nasty posts.

When in doubt, do a water change.
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 07:04:24 AM »

Kristin,

See if you can attach some pics to a PM to me and I will post for you.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's