Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 18, 2017, 06:33:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pictus and ADFs  (Read 1011 times)
BiggyMeows

United States United States

« on: August 01, 2016, 09:29:14 AM »

We had two ADFs and two large Neons in a 10 gallon tank when my six year old declared we needed additional fish.   The tank has been established for about two years now,  and other then a single bout if ich has been healthy.  We went to the local mom and pop fish store where he chose a pictus and we bought 4 new rummynoses to replace those taken by ich last year.  The fish store assured me this would be a compatible set up for our existing  tank.   Since then,  the picuts has eaten all four rummynoses and the six year old now fears for the life of the ADFs.   One ADF, the female, is quite large (they are 4 years old and transitioned well from a 2 gallon to the current 10 gallon set up) with a body length of about 1 inch or so (Thumper).   The male is slightly smaller (Slinky).   The pictus is not very large and I'm honestly surprised he was able to eat the rummynoses.  Is the six year olds fear founded?  Should we fear for Slinky and Thumper?
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 11:40:06 AM »

I would say that not only are Slinky and Thumper in trouble, so is the cat fish.  You have unfortunately fallen for some really poor information.  I am really glad you have taken the time to join our forum and learn some information about the wonderful world of fish keeping.

I would like to encourage you to research your pets BEFORE you buy them.  Research does NOT include asking the person that will financially benefit from giving you bad information for their opinion.

Pictus cats will grow to be 5+ inches long and need to be housed in a 70 gallon tank, not a 10.  I am sorry, he can't stay in that aquarium.  All tetras, whether that is your neons or the rummynose need to be housed in schools.  The definition of a "school" varies tremendously with each person you ask, but generally speaking smaller fish like the neons need to be housed in groups of 8-10 and the rummynose would need at least a school of 6.  Schooling fish housed in small numbers are stressed, the ich you experienced is likely a result of that stress.

Please read this link to an article about stocking a 10 gallon tank.  http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/ten-gallon-aquarium-stocking-suggestions-article63.html

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
BiggyMeows

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 11:52:14 AM »

Karen,  Thank you.  We've had good luck at this fish store in the past.  My question then would be where does one go to rehome a fish?  Should I just take him back to the store?
Pat Mary

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 11:57:45 AM »

I would try to return him first.  If they resist taking him, you could mention that you were given misinformation about him being compatible with the tank and fish that you already had.  If they still refuse, you could list him on Craig's List or some such other site to see if anyone would take him.

When in doubt, do a water change.
The Dave

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 01:12:08 PM »

most stores will take the fish back and give you about 1/3 of its resale value.  Do not trust your LFS do your research.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation