Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 17, 2017, 06:26:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Help with fish ID please!  (Read 1642 times)
Cichlid752016

United States United States

« on: August 20, 2016, 11:04:59 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi I haven't been on here in a while due to moving states but I'm back and have a question. This is a tank I'm aquiring off of Craigslist and the family who's giving it to me says the fish got big quick and the kids are no longer interested so they are getting rid of it. My question is can anyone tell what these fish are? I unfortunately don't have a better pic at the moment. I had 2 ideas but I'm sure they're crazy lol they look like iridescent shark or paroon shark juveniles. If they are I know I have to find a way to rehome them because they are not home aquaria fish lol how would I go about rehoming such fish if they are in fact one of those 2? Thank you!

* 00505_atudGEYBMou_600x450.jpg (23.25 KB, 600x450 - viewed 116 times.)
Pat Mary

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 09:08:45 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I have no idea of the size of the aquarium so cannot compare the size of the fish to the tank but, I agree that they might be ID shark.  Maybe check with a public aquarium in your area to see if they want them.

When in doubt, do a water change.
gunnered72

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 240, 100, 70, 50, 30, 30, 25 Litres

Theres more water than air in here :P

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 03:48:25 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Iridescent Sharks (Pangassius)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridescent_shark

I love to hate Water Changes! :P
Mishellfish
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 07:21:15 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Yes I would say beautiful iridescent sharks
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 12:39:18 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Note, I do not keep the larger fw species as most of my tanks have been too small. My largest fish are clown loaches in a 150gal.

Are we sure they are not Balas, Balantiocheilos melanopterus? If they are this, then

Given its potential size this species is clearly unsuitable for the general community aquarium. Though normally quite peaceful it will also eat very small fishes and can upset slow-moving or more timid tankmates with its constant activity and vigorous feeding behaviour.

It’s therefore only appropriate for very large tanks containing robust, similarly-sized tankmates that enjoy the same conditions. There are a number of suitable choices but recommendations include Hypsibarbus wetmorei, Barilius, Cyclocheilichthys, Osteochilus, Barbonymus, Mystacoleucus and larger Garra species.

Although it is gregarious by nature this is a shoaling rather than schooling species which develops a distinct pecking order and therefore should always be maintained in a group of five or more. If only two or three are purchased the subdominant fish may be bullied incessantly whereas solitary specimens can become aggressive towards similar-looking species.
from http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/balantiocheilos-melanopterus/

If if is a Pangasianodon hypophthalmus, iridescent, then it will get over 4 feet long.

Unsuitable for all but the very largest tanks. It’s a very active open water species and tends to be skittish when kept in cramped conditions. This can lead to problems with the fish banging into the tank glass and items of decor, often resulting in injury. For even a single specimen to be housed long term a tank measuring at least 15′ x 6′ x 6′ (450cm x 180cm x 180cm) – 14,580 litres would be the minimum needed. Juveniles can of course be grown on in smaller tanks............

It’s a shoaling species by nature and will be less flighty when maintained in a group. Obviously a truly enormous tank would be needed to adequately house several.
from http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pangasionodon-hypophthalmus/

Note this species is considered endangered.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 08:15:34 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I've personally viewed Pangasianodon hypophthalmus in a public aquaria. The ones I saw were larger than 4 feet. Had to very close to 5 feet. IMO, That is one fish that should never be imported for the aquarium trade.  Sad

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 92 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's