Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 17, 2017, 02:05:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will my pictus catfish eat and or attack my neon glofish?  (Read 1363 times)
simplifishy

United States United States

« on: August 23, 2016, 10:13:03 PM »

Earlier today I bought one pictus catfish and two neon glofish. I have a 10 gallon tank with only the one catfish and two fish. I turned the tank light off and a few minutes later my catfish was extremely active. He only swims on the left side of the tank and doesn't seem to bother the glofish. My catfish is only an inch and a half long so he's still pretty small. My glofish are about one inch long. I know pictus catfish tend to eat whatever fits in their mouths but I don't know if he'll eat my glofish. (I don't want him to).
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 07:41:52 AM »

" I know pictus catfish tend to eat whatever fits in their mouths but I don't know if he'll eat my glofish. (I don't want him to)".

If you can trade your Pictus for another Glofish from where you obtained it, then that would be an option.  happy

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 151 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 08:35:56 AM »

Here is a quote from one of the reference sites I use for species information:

Peaceful enough but bear in mind this is a predatory species. Unfortunately itís often sold as a bottom dweller for the community of smaller fish, a situation which must have led to the deaths of countless neons, guppies and similarly-sized species. Itís really only suitable for roomy tanks with occupants that canít be swallowed. It can also bother slower-moving tankmates (such as many cichlids) with its activity levels and long barbels, especially at night or when feeding. Robust, active species therefore make the best tankmates. Rainbowfish, medium to large-sized characins, cyprinids and tough catfish such as Loricariids or Doradids are all suitable.

Although a single specimen will survive by itself, itís a shoaling species by nature and will be much more outgoing and active when maintained in a group of six or more. If kept alone it tends to remain hidden during daylight hours, emerging only after lights out.
from http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pimelodus-pictus/

ďEveryone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.Ē Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation