Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

April 30, 2017, 05:25:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fish for a 10 gallon aquarium  (Read 1140 times)
Angie
« on: August 27, 2016, 09:56:37 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I am starting a 10 gallon tank. I would like to start with 5-6 Danios. After the danios are settled I'd like to add a bottom feeder. Any suggestions? I was considering dwarf corys.
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 08:49:04 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Here is a great article for ideas for a  10 gallon tank.  http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=11184.0

I don't know how experienced you are in this hobby so I will just say to not forget to cycle your tank.  Here are a couple of articles about that:     http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article59.html       and     http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php?topic=1304.0

When in doubt, do a water change.
TwoTankAmin

United States United States

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 09:30:46 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Also, saying Danios does not really tell us which fish you mean as there are about 26 species of danio in the genus. Some can work in a 10 gal. tank while others cannot. Here is a site which will illustrate what I mean http://www.fishbase.org/identification/SpeciesList.php?genus=Danio

New hobbyists have little experience and knowledge built up yet so choosing fish can be daunting experience. I can tell you how I approached things 16 years ago when I was setting up my first tank. I started by looking at pictures of fish on the internet and in the Baensch Aquarium Atlas vol 1. Whenever I saw a fish whose look appealed to me, I would try to research the fish to determine a few things:

1. Could it thrive in my tap water?
2. Could it cohabit with the other fish I had found I planned to or did keep?
3. Was my tank the proper size for that fish?
4. Could I give it proper care and meet its needs for its entire life?

If I could not answer the above questions with a well reasoned yes, I would not get it. Despite all this care, I have still made mistakes. Bear in mind that this hobby is no different than any else new with which we get involved. There is a learning curve. There is nothing wrong with learning from our mistakes when we have made a good effort to try and avoid avoid them by trying to learn as much as we can first. You are already doing this in your post as you are tying to learn before you act.

I have always tried to read on three sites as the first step to learn about a fish:
This site has good info on many species.
The SeriouslyFish.com site.
The Mongabay.com site.

What I suggest that has worked for me is to use Google. I will enter the "Latin name of the fish" + the site name. It will often work with the common name, but common names may generate some confusion. Here are examples of how to get information for Zebra Danios aka Danio rerio on Google:

"Danio rerio + Seriously" or "zebra danio + badmans" or if you are not certain of the exact species "Danio + mongabay" This last format would get you to a site's page for the genus from which you can then select the species. All three sites may not have info on a given fish and they may also not be in 100% agreement on some things. But for the most part they are pretty accurate.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation