Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

April 25, 2017, 05:16:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clown loach with cichlids  (Read 2797 times)
shopiwl

« on: August 29, 2016, 08:30:15 AM »

Can clown loach be kept with cichlids
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 09:46:41 AM »

What  species of cichlid?  How many clown loaches are you planning to keep in what size aquarium?

When in doubt, do a water change.
shopiwl

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 10:17:07 AM »

Mbuna. 125 gal. Just wanted one or two but if they need to be in a school I'll past. Just wasted something for bottom feeder and liked there color.
Pat Mary

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 11:41:41 AM »

Clown Loaches are definitely schooling fish so need to be in a group.  Here is an article on reasons why they should not be kept with Mbuna:

http://www.loaches.com/articles/why-loaches-should-not-be-kept-with-malawi-cichlids

It is good that you are researching before you get the fish.  happy

shopiwl

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 04:12:33 AM »

what ground feeder would be good for what I have. I have 10 cichlids now is that about what a 125 gal tank would hold. I'm new cichlids as u can see. what is a good food for them. I am using a small pellet food now. only store close to me is petsmart so i dint have much.
Pat Mary

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 09:30:58 AM »

My understanding is that most Mbuna are herbivores (but not all) so need a veggie based diet.  I feel like I am pulling teeth here but,, which Mbunas do you have?  Had you read anything about these cichlids before jumping in with 10 of them?  I do know that it is not good to overfeed them.  If you are looking for a bottom feeder to control the food, then you are feeding too much. 

shopiwl

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 10:36:28 AM »

I don't feed them that much. The pellets never hit the ground. I mentioned bottom feeder because I think they are cool looking. No I didn't do research on each one. We bought them at aquarium Adventures in Bolingbrook. They told us which ones would be good together so hope we didn't make a mistake. We also feed them beef heart every few days
Pat Mary

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 10:52:52 AM »

My understanding is that most Mbuna are herbivores (but not all) so need a veggie based diet.

The first thing that you would need to do is to determine which species you have.  This link will give you a start:     http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profile.html

If you can't find your fish on that link, google Mbuna cichlids to find yours.  Then look to see what they should eat.  I think that beef heart every few days will really harm them.

shopiwl

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 10:57:14 AM »

Ok thank you. I will check that out.
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 09:49:21 PM »

.....Or, you can post some pics and members can figure out what they might be. (Unless they had them labeled African assorted or assorted Mbuna cichlids) If they were labeled that way, there might be no way to determine what species mix they might be.

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 110 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 10:06:19 AM »

Just a confirmation re beef heart. Dr. Stephan Tanner does presentations at events and last March I attended one he did on Pleco of the Rio Xingu (I keep and breed a few such species). As part of his presentation he dealt with fish and diet. One thing he stressed, and which I have always believed, was not to feed beef heart to any fish. Not all concur with this opinion.

However, vegetarian fish should rarely be fed meaty foods and never as often as you are doing. I suggest you research Malawi Bloat. I will start you off with the following information from cichlid-forum.com:

Three Main Causes For Bloat

3.) Improper diet. Many cichlids - particularly herbivorous ones - have long intestinal tracts, requiring a relativley longer period of time to digest their food. Consequently, it is quite common for these cichlids to develop intestinal problems. The decomposition of improperly digested, or improperly excreted foods can irritate the intestinal wall, and stress the fish, giving the invasive parasite a foothold. This can often come about when a primarily herbivorous, algae-scraping cichlid (like Tropheus or Pseudotropheus spp.) is fed high protein foods such as bloodworms, or pellet and flake foods containing large quantities of fish meal. Slimy or soft foods, such as brine shrimp, should be avoided and replaced with crunchier foods such as mysis. In light of this information, and experience, it is important to avoid certain foods, and to go light on others. (For a detailed discussion of this topic, see Feeding African Cichlids.)
from http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/malawi_bloat.php

The Feeding African Cichlids info mentioned above states:

Many Cichlid foods are good and appropriate for all cichlids, be they carnivorous or herbivorous. What you want to watch out for are foods high in fat. You especially want to avoid anything that has beef heart or products from other warm-blooded animals
from http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/feeding_african_cichlids.php

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
janetfdoss

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 01:51:53 AM »

What does that means?
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2016, 03:58:40 PM »

What does that means?

It means he is asking a question. Can 'that' certain species of fish be kept with a certain family of other fish.  Wink

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
gunnered72

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 240, 100, 70, 50, 30, 30, 25 Litres

Theres more water than air in here :P

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2016, 12:06:09 AM »

I woudnt personally keep anything with Malawi Cichlids except Malawi Cichlids....I think they would just destroy Clown Loaches to be honest....Clown Loaches are timid peaceful fish where as Malawis are territorial aggressive fish...

I love to hate Water Changes! :P
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 04:06:40 PM »

Just to correct the idea that clowns cannot defend themselves and do so quite viciously, these fish carry two switchblades. They are called sub0ocular spines. These are normally retracted until its time to fight an attacker.

Here is a link to a picture from loaches.com of one with these out http://www.loaches.com/species-index/photos/c/chromobotia_macracanthus_02.jpg/image_medium

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation