Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 26, 2017, 03:38:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 sick platy  (Read 1008 times)
kromagg

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: September 27, 2016, 04:47:23 AM »

Tank Size: 25 l

Filtration (include media types i.e. activated carbon, floss, etc): ciano cf40 (foam + clear water cartridge)

How long has your tank been set up: 2months

Using a liquid reagent test kit, please provide the following: in fish shop they said the water is OK.

Ammonia:
Nitrites:
Nitrates:
PH:

Temperature: 21C

Substrate: colour mix gravel

Décor/Live or fake plants: fake

Maintenance (water changes-how much, how often, vacuum, etc): once a week

Dechlorinator: no

Who lives in your tank? Include a  listing of inhabitants, feeding schedule, and how long they have had the inhabitants. 2 shrimps and 4 platy (2 male +2 female)

What symptoms are being exhibited and when did they start: about after 1st water change one of males have cotton like white minipolips/stains all over the body. still eating and swimming like others. I did water change with tap water without dechlorinating with bucket so I am pretty sure it was due to stress? (I'm improve greatly since ). water been milky cloudy for next week or so.. I added pure aquarium gel balls... this helped with water and fish seems loosing white spots.. still got few but not as much. Do I need some medication or just be more gentle from now on? this was my first time ever with aquarium and I'm reading a lot now and learning a lot and see how foolish I was acting like that... Angry
kromagg

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 04:48:52 AM »

edit: I changed about 50% water at first but now I do about 25%
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 10:10:58 AM »

Welcome to the hobby!  You are in for a delightful and informative time in your life.

I think in gallons so I converted your tank.  It is about 6 gallons.  I think that part of the reason for your fish being sick is overcrowding.  There is not much water for 4 platys to swim in when you have a 6 gallon tank.

Tank Size: 25 l

Filtration (include media types i.e. activated carbon, floss, etc): ciano cf40 (foam + clear water cartridge)

How long has your tank been set up: 2months

Using a liquid reagent test kit, please provide the following: in fish shop they said the water is OK.You will need to get your own test kit.  Most of us use the API Master Test Kit but any brand will do as long as it is a liquid type with test tubes.  (Not test strips.)

Ammonia:
Nitrites:
Nitrates:
PH:

Temperature: 21C

Substrate: colour mix gravel

Décor/Live or fake plants: fake

Maintenance (water changes-how much, how often, vacuum, etc): once a week

Dechlorinator: no Unless you have a private well, a dechlorinator must be used.

Who lives in your tank? Include a  listing of inhabitants, feeding schedule, and how long they have had the inhabitants. 2 shrimps and 4 platy (2 male +2 female) Only males should be in this tank so that no fry will be produced.  The tank is too small.

What symptoms are being exhibited and when did they start: about after 1st water change one of males have cotton like white minipolips/stains all over the body. still eating and swimming like others. I did water change with tap water without dechlorinating with bucket so I am pretty sure it was due to stress? (I'm improve greatly since ). water been milky cloudy for next week or so.. I added pure aquarium gel balls... this helped with water and fish seems loosing white spots.. still got few but not as much. Do I need some medication or just be more gentle from now on? this was my first time ever with aquarium and I'm reading a lot now and learning a lot and see how foolish I was acting like that... Angry The fish more than likely has Ich which will spread to the other fish soon. I have no idea of what "pure aquarium gel balls" are.      http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_palace/tropicalfish_disease_identification.html#Ich

When in doubt, do a water change.
kromagg

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 02:39:10 PM »

thank you.

the thing is: in petshop they told me 4 will be easy space.. I know now (less or more) how to calculate.. I have only 2 fake plants my tank is this one.
the pure gel balls are this they just increase bacteria growth I guess..
should I get medication for ich or let it go away? I noticed the white spots nearly gone now.. (I'm holding myself to any rapid actions .. to let fish settle and calm down..)
as for tap water I admit I had no clue I need to do anything about it.. I add the water to tank and after 4 days check it in pet shop and they told me its ok to go... Now I read it will loose chlor if left for few days.. so probably that why.. So I know now better how to perform water changes..
should I lower fish number to 3 or just swap females for males?
I am setting my tropical aquarium (180l) _ planning in progress, would it be ok to put them into my new tank as they r temperate as I understood?

thank you for all information and your time.
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 02:53:14 PM »

Yes, chlorine will dissipate with time.  But, many municipalities also add chloramines which actually will not go away so do need to be removed by a dechlorinator.  Both chlorine and chloramines are toxic for fish so that is the reason to use a dechlorinator.

You could put your platys into your larger tank if you want. 

You will either need to use salt or a med made to treat Ich.  The white spots going away doesn't mean that the disease is gone, it has just moved on to its next stage.  Without killing it, it will never go away until there are no live fish left.  I can guarantee that it's goal is to kill your fish.

When in doubt, do a water change.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's