Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 21, 2017, 11:18:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a peaceful community Cichlid - Bolivian Ram vs. A. agassizii?  (Read 671 times)
Sarabi

Tanks: 75 Gallon schooling community (Panda Cories, Harlequin Rasboras, Gold Tetras, Praecox Rainbows); 5 Gallon (Caspian the doubletail betta, Callahan the Olive Nerite Snail, Java Fern, Anubias); 10 Gallon Cherry Shrimp Species Tank (in progress)

« on: November 03, 2016, 09:13:34 PM »

I have a peaceful community of small fish, and am thinking of adding a Cichlid to the mix.  This would be my very first Cichlid.  I'm really drawn to the intelligence and colors of Cichlids.  However, it would have to be gentle enough to get along with Panda Corycats, a Bristlenose Pleco, Cardinal Tetras, Gold Tetras, Black Neon Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, and a Honey Gourami.  Having a peaceful tank is extremely important to me.

The aquarium is 75 gallons, and I've had it for about 7 years.  The pH of the aquarium is 6.4, the hardness is 8 dGH, and the temperature is 75 degrees.  I do 40% water changes once per week.  The tank has driftwood and caves, a smooth sand substrate, and lots of fake plants.  

Since I'm concerned about aggression that mating would bring, I would like to purchase just 1 Cichlid, so I want one that would be okay by itself.

I have an extremely good fish store by me.  They have 2 Cichlid species I'm hoping might be good candidates, and I would choose one.  

The first is a Bolivian Ram, which I'd researched online and sounded like a good fit.  However, the ones at the store were very grey - hardly any color to them. That's very unusual at this store, which usually has extremely high quality fish that are very vividly colored. 90% of their fish are much brighter than a typical pet store's.  So I'm wondering if the Bolivian Ram would color up if I got one? Or are they mostly grey fish in general? They still had the red borders to their fins, but only a very tiny hint of yellow, and otherwise were grey with black markings. I like their body shape and their large eyes, but I kind've wanted at least a little more color, like the pretty pictures I've been seeing of them online. I understand they are timid fish, would plenty of caves and dither fish color them up more?

The other fish I saw there was Apistogramma agassizii "fire red", and they were plenty colorful.  I especially loved the male's coloring.  However, I didn't think their shape was quite as cute as the Bolivians.  I'm having trouble finding out if this Apisto would work alright with just a single male in the tank, as I really don't want them to breed and am not interested in the females.  Could 1 male work?  How peaceful are they compared to the Bolivian?

If anyone has kept these, I'd love more information about either.  And if anyone has had experience with both, it would be awesome if you could share their similarities and differences in temperament and requirements.  Would either work for my tank, or would neither work well?  Which one do you think would be a better fit?  What are their special requirements, per species and about Cichlids in general?  

Sorry that was so long, thank you so much for reading!
BallAquatics

Tanks: 85+ of all shapes and sizes!

Fish Breeder

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 10:07:48 PM »

Cryptoheros nanoluteus, Archocentrus nanoluteus

Stopped by Eric Bodrock's on the way to the All-Aquarium Catfish Convention and he has these in his 240 display tank with some barbs and other non-aggressive fish.  Very nice looking small cichlid.  He said when he wants some fry he just drops in a flower pot and away they go.  No problems with other fish in the tank when they are spawning or otherwise.

Dennis

When i read things that say that wont work....
I mostly smile and think , yeah right 
superfish

Taiwan Taiwan

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 09:55:07 AM »

Very beautiful yellow cichlid

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman