Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 20, 2017, 09:35:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The lands beyond a 55 gallon..  (Read 607 times)
bettagirl25

United States United States

« on: December 03, 2016, 03:59:48 AM »

Ok so I thought I would post here and get some advice I can present to mom.

I have one 55 gallon bow tank up and running currently.In storage I have a 36 bow and a 29 long.Unsure if either will actually be set up or not(been thinking about using the 36 for a saltwater tank.I wanted a cube tank for that but I don't think that's gonna happen.)

I would love to have a species 55 gallon with a mystus but what I am wondering is that is it possible to have anything above a 75 gallon in a single wide trailer without having to put supports under the floor?I would really like a 125 or a 150 but my mother is firmly against it as she is convinced it will make the floor cave in.My argument is that  there are so many other things in the house(I.e refrigerator stove etc)that weigh close to the same and then throw in people and animals and that puts more wear on the floor than one unmoving stationary tank right?I am well aware of how heavy a tank can get once filled and substrate is put in,plus a stand.

While I would love a tank in every room I have yet to hit the lottery yet ,so I am limiting myself to the 55 possibly one other 55 and maybe this.

So I ask can it be done?Can one safely have a 125 gallon in a trailer without risking the foor or is mom sadly right in this case?
Pat Mary

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 11:52:36 AM »

Read this and see if it helps you:     http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/can-my-floor-support-an-aquarium-article28.html

When in doubt, do a water change.
Pat Mary

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 03:57:04 PM »

Another thing to help you to decide.  How big of a tank are you willing or able to maintain?   For example,  I am short so cannot have a larger tank because I could not reach the bottom. 

When in doubt, do a water change.
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 02:03:25 PM »

Pat Mary- I am short, under 5'5" and I have tanks that are deep. 45 gal is just under 24 inches. My 150 is about 28 and the 125 is also about 24.

Two thoughts here. To work in deep tanks you need a steps ladder which allows you to be above the rim. How deep you can reach is easy to figure. Stick a tape measure in your armpit and measure the distance to your palm. That is about the limits of one's reach when started from above a tank rim.

Next, I use these when I cannot reach

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=24133

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation