Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

June 29, 2017, 10:54:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Freshwater Amphipods  (Read 776 times)
Jacob Gaskill
« on: December 08, 2016, 08:16:27 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I have a question regarding freshwater amphipods. Specifically, how did they get in my tank?!?!

I have an established 10 gallon, moderately planted shrimp tank. I do a 40-50% water change every 7-10 days. This evening during my water change, I noticed several amphipods and a planaria while I was vacuuming. I haven't added anything to the tank in a couple of months, so how in the heck did they get in there??? And now that they are here, should I be concerned for my shrimp? Is there anyway I can do to get rid of them, short of tearing down the tank and starting over?

Any information provided would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 11:35:33 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

They were there just waiting for an opportunity to procreate in sufficient numbers to start to get noticed. Only a couple out of thousands are dangerous or parasitic. I would venture that the critters you have in your tank are not parasitic because it sounds like they lack a sufficient host. Outside the planaria you noticed, can you describe what the others look like?

You may be able to cut down on their numbers by adjusting your method of vacuuming.The more excess bio waste and leftover food, the greater chance for them to multiply into just a nuisance. The nuisance part comes in when they start to compete for food with your shrimp and being just plain aesthetically displeasing to  look at.
These little critters can be excellent food for many fish species, but alas, you have a shrimp tank.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Jacob Gaskill
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 07:07:47 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks Russ,

I appreciate your feedback! I will certainly plan to reduce feeding quantities and to vacuum more thoroughly. I probably don't spend as much time vacuuming the hard-to-get places as I should.

As to describing the amphipods, I couldn't tell you anything more than that they look small, white, and shrimp-like. They move so fast that it has been hard for me to get a useful picture. I realize this is an poor description, but they look like the amphipods (or "scud") you would find in many freshwater lakes.

Again, thanks for the help,
Jake
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation