Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

March 23, 2017, 07:24:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fish Die Off  (Read 441 times)
Urohawk

« on: December 16, 2016, 01:25:42 AM »

Badmans...hope you can come to the rescue.

Filtration (include media types i.e. activated carbon, floss, etc): Marineland Penguin 200 with activated carbon insert.

How long has your tank been set up: 20G Tall.  This is a loaded question.  It's been up for about 7 years.  We had a massive die off about 4 years ago and kids lost interest in it.  I was going to let all the fish go but one glolite tetra survived along with the snail.  I figured if he survived then he deserved to stay alive.  His nickname is survivor.

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 5-10 ppm (darker than 5 but not as dark as 10 ppm)
PH: 7.8

Temperature: 75

Substrate: Gravel

Décor/Live or fake plants: Mostly fake a small live plants. I don't know name but it continues to spread in the tank.

Maintenance (water changes-how much, how often, vacuum, etc): 25-40% every week.

Dechlorinator: Tetra Aquasafe

Who lives in your tank? Include a  listing of inhabitants, feeding schedule, and how long they have had the inhabitants.
1. 2 mystery snails
2. 2 african dwarf frogs
3. 12 fancy male guppies
4. 6 cory cats
5. 1 glolite tetra

What symptoms are being exhibited and when did they start:
Since we just had survivor and a snail. I did water changes about 1 per month at 25%.  Figured there was very little bioload.  My youngest son wanted to get fish when my older boys got lizards.  I started cycling the tank with a big 50% change and then 25% every week for 4 weeks.   I then added 3 guppies.  I had a bit of a fungus outbreak which was mostly a ton of white stuff in the gravel.  This was present from the start of water changes with survivor, cleared with water changes, but resurfaced with the guppies being introduced.  I think increased feeding was part of the issue.  We cut back food volume and it went away after about 4 weeks total.

Once tank seemed to be running well I added 4 fish per week (either guppies or cories).  Last 3 fish added were red cobra guppies.  About 3 days later I lost a cobra guppy and 1 of 1 fancy.  This then started a downward spiral of 1-2 fish every few days over a week.  We are down to 7 guppies and 5 corys.  Random thoughts/questions

1. Last water change I overfilled the tank a bit so water was touching the aquarium hood.  As a result there was less disturbance at the surface. Is it possible it deoxygenated the water?  This wouldn't effect the dwarf frogs (see below).

2. I have all male guppies because I didn't want breeding.  The males are pretty interactive with lots of high speed swimming.  The don't seem aggressive as in no fin nipping, etc.  Are they stressing each other?  I lost a cory today to that theory went out the windows.  Is having all males a mistake?

3. Fish are showing no signs of disease.

4. Today I noticed the two dwarf frogs are not right.  Both are missing a claw.  It is as if there hands were amputated on one side.  The larger of the two has some skin peeling on its right leg.  It is not white or anything like that.  Just looks like clear peeling skin.

Any thoughts.  I can start doing massive water changes but I don't see anything wrong.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation