Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 25, 2017, 03:53:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideas for 125 freshwater stocking  (Read 1831 times)
Ruthlessaz

United States United States

« on: December 27, 2016, 11:14:06 PM »

Hi all, I am new to this forum and have a question.
I have a 125 gallon tank, about a month old, and I transferred fish I had from my old 55 and bought some new ones. Here is what I have
4 silver dollars
4 albino Cory cats
8 or 9 black skirt tetras
10 to 13 neon tetras
5 rasporas
4 kuhli loaches
About 20 ghost shrimp
1 rainbow shark
Some random snails, mystery, trumpet and pond

Looking for some more ideas, again, this is a 125 gallon, and was thinking most fish I have are not gonna get bigger or much bigger
I am open to inverts if possible, more shrimp, more schools of fish, any ideas are helpful
I have 2 canister filters and 2 heaters, an air pump as well
Thanks!!!

Adam

russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 08:31:26 AM »

Hi Adam and welcome.....

If your Silver Dollars are the standard pet store S. Dollars, they can get bigger than most people think. Think in terms of at least 5 inches in length and several inches high. Your silver group should be good for your tank. Personally, I would double the amount of Neons in your tank along with doubling the cories. Sounds like you have a very nice aquarium.

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 148 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Ruthlessaz

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 11:44:39 AM »

Thanks! I also have a pleco( not a standard one, it said max 6")
I saw some large danio, I think they are giant danio, they looked cool. I may go to a LFS to look. I normally go to PetSmart, inexpensive and this one has a huge selection. Larger selection than any other PetSmart ive been to, but a place called phoenix-tropic fish is nice, just far away

russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 08:26:13 AM »

I've always been an advocate of (a) keeping fish in which the hobbyist can most easily maintain within the type of water that runs out of their tap (b) keeping fishes that come from the same continent and region. Your Rasboras obviously are from thousands mile apart from the other fish you have. I have made my recommendation based on my own (5 decades) historical experience, aquarium organizations (national and international) that I have belonged and professional written publications that support this. If the Rasboras you currently have are Harlequin Rasboras, they should work, albeit that goes against of what fish I would keep together. But, adding Danios to your mix is something I would defer to my original recommendation of increasing the Neon school and adding a few more cories.  happy

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 150 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Ruthlessaz

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 11:39:10 AM »

Thank you for your response! I don't know what type of Rasbora they are but they are the common ones I think. Thanks for recommending more neon and Cory! I was thinking more neons also, but didn't think about getting more Cory's. So instead of getting another type of fish, you would advise on getting more of what I already have? Only reason I ask is because I wanted to get another type of fish, make it more colorful and what not, but if you advise against it, may I ask why? Just want to learn about the reasoning, that's all. Thanks for responding by the way! I appreciate all the help I can get and take suggestions.
Gremlin2756

England England

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 03:51:37 PM »

I'm sure Russ will elaborate for you Smiley i would definitely agree that you should get more corydoras. From experience i have noticed change in behaviour (schooling) just by adding a couple more. I am proud owner of 12 panda corydoras. Only planned on 6 but had a few babies along the way Smiley
pig

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 01:04:47 PM »

Hi all, I am new to this forum and have a question.
I have a 125 gallon tank, about a month old, and I transferred fish I had from my old 55 and bought some new ones. Here is what I have
4 silver dollars
4 albino Cory cats
8 or 9 black skirt tetras
10 to 13 neon tetras
5 rasporas
4 kuhli loaches
About 20 ghost shrimp
1 rainbow shark
Some random snails, mystery, trumpet and pond

Looking for some more ideas, again, this is a 125 gallon, and was thinking most fish I have are not gonna get bigger or much bigger
I am open to inverts if possible, more shrimp, more schools of fish, any ideas are helpful
I have 2 canister filters and 2 heaters, an air pump as well
Thanks!!!

Adam

I've heard silver dollars as a schooling fish do best in groups of 5 or more and grow to to 4-6 inches.  You didn't state your water parameters, but how about some livebrears, Platys or swordtails.  They come in a great variety of colors, are very hardy, breed prolifically.  If you don't want to raise the fry, the babies are are a great source of nutrition. IMO.  P.S. I agree with the idea of tank mates from the same part of the world. 
Amp2020

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 09:34:15 AM »

Here's what I would add.
Bala sharks, 5 or more.
Rainbowfish, new guinea red, turquoise or boesemani.
School of rummynose tetras, at least a dozen. Very nice schooling fish.
Giant dannios because they are fast and add lots of movement to the tank.

Just don't add too many at once, or overload the filtration system with more than it can handle.
pig

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 04:24:44 PM »

Here's what I would add.
Bala sharks, 5 or more.
Rainbowfish, new guinea red, turquoise or boesemani.
School of rummynose tetras, at least a dozen. Very nice schooling fish.
Giant dannios because they are fast and add lots of movement to the tank.

Just don't add too many at once, or overload the filtration system with more than it can handle.

all beautiful fish but this aquarium like my 65G will be continent specific-my 29g is community 5 rosy barbs-asia, 2 kribensis-africa, 1 stripped Raphael SA, 1 rubber nose pleco SA,  The 125g will be 2 electeric blue acara, 4 sliver dollars, 1 gold serevum, 2 firemouth, 1 spotted Raphael cat, 1 stripped Raphael cat, 1 bristlenose pleco-filtration is 2 Fluval 404 and undergravel
Ruthlessaz

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 08:44:56 PM »

I changed it up a bit lol op
I now have a fully planted tank with:
I rubber nose pleco, spotted
I rainbow shark
4 Albino Cory cats
9 black skirt tetras
About 20 ish neon tetras
5 kuhli loaches
12 mystery snail
3 nerite
2 bamboo shrimp
15 red cherry shrimp
5 amano shrimp
 A few ghost shrimp
A bunch of mts
 Maybe 8 rasbora heteromorpha
6 black neons looking to get more

pig

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 06:24:02 AM »

I changed it up a bit lol op
I now have a fully planted tank with:
I rubber nose pleco, spotted
I rainbow shark
4 Albino Cory cats
9 black skirt tetras
About 20 ish neon tetras
5 kuhli loaches
12 mystery snail
3 nerite
2 bamboo shrimp
15 red cherry shrimp
5 amano shrimp
 A few ghost shrimp
A bunch of mts
 Maybe 8 rasbora heteromorpha
6 black neons looking to get more

agree with Russ on fish from same region-what I previously posted is stocking for my 125g-all SA/CA-really like shrimp but always have fish that would just make a snack of them-good luck
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation