Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

May 26, 2017, 11:26:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi andthanksfor adding me  (Read 1215 times)
Btsenior

United States United States

« on: January 05, 2017, 09:22:10 PM »

Lots of wonderful and insightful info here cant thank you enough. I was very avid in the aquatic life in the 80s but after a large fish kill off thanks to our local elec. utility company back then I went into a deep withdrawl.Lost a lot of African zebras and incredible frontosa that I loved very much used to call him Frazier.Three large tanks all full all dead on instant. Power company said power surge.  Flash forward to present we've started small with a twenty gal and a ten gal. Been watching angel fish grow in the twenty with a green serum that got too large and aggressive so he went to another enthusiast. Funny as soon as he left the gold angels paired up and have been going through egg cycles since. Problem is there is two males in the tank third wheel being  a koi angel. My thoughts was to upgrade to a 55 gallon and do a planted tank hoping the expanded habitat would allow for more co habitation.
Also wanted to add that the 10 gallon inhabitants were re located as well leaving one large corydora cat fish who immediately decided she wanted to lay eggs as well. Having no partner for her she went to the twenty and had to do a complete bail/clean out of the ten due to the eggs fungus that came quickly.
In the interest of tank placement and remember we'd like to do a planted tank can anyone answer me how to determine wether we have little or much light for the plantings I would say that there is only indirect sun light never direct light more defined summer months.
I've read that hydrogen peroxide is used for cleaning in several posts but was wondering is that a food grade or pharmaceutical
Thank you and again everything I've read so far has been very insightful
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 09:03:41 AM »

A 55 will not solve the angel problem. You should remove the extra male to solve the problem. Angels pair and they do not tolerate interlopers. TThey often will protect their space and their eggs against other tank inhabitants going as far as killing some of them. It is important to understand that fish eggs and fish fry are seen as food by many fish, sometimes this includes the parents.

When almost any cichlid, even the seemingly peaceful ones, become very aggressive and nasty when in spawning mode.

Be careful messing with peroxide it tanks, it can kill fish, I have seen it happen.

Plants need light to thrive. Sunlight is uncontrolled in terms of a tank, especially in relation to what comes through windows. As the seasons changes the position and angles change so you may not get much light at some times of the year. get a light for the tank. There are a ton of low light plants one can get which will thrive in a lower light tank and which will need minimal care.

Here is an excellent plant site I have used their fertilizers now for almost 15 years http://tropica.com/en They have a wealth of information on plants and their needs and they have how tos, including vids, of everything you need to know to have a successful planted tank.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Btsenior

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 08:34:17 AM »

Hey thanks for info and the link
I'm not that excited about angel breeding so if the extra male is placed in another home would we be able to do a community tank in the 55 still keeping the paired angels or will they not tolerate any kind of neighbors
The 55 is planned to be a planted community tank
TwoTankAmin

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 12:07:43 PM »

Angels, like most cichlids, get pretty aggressive when in spawning mode. Where they gave tolerated other fish readily, they suddenly will not. There is a process you can see unfolding when they are in spawning mode.
They will clean a sport to spawn.
They will try and keep other fish away from that area.
Once there are eggs they will protect them.
You can find most other fish hiding away from the angels spot, you may see injuries to other fish or even see them killed.
Other fish see angel eggs/wigglers as food. Angels will often eat them rather than allow other fish to do so.

Here is a great article on angels which has been around for a very long time, it is still pertinent. http://fins.actwin.com/articles/freshwaterangels.php

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Amp2020

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 09:42:30 AM »

There are plenty of low light plants to choose from. I suggest looking into annubias and java ferns first. Or you'll need to upgrade to some strong lights for most plants.

I'd also suggest removing the female angelfish. Or they will continue to spawn and make it difficult to add any new fish due to their aggression. Even just two female angelfish can pair up, lay eggs, and become aggressive in protecting the infertile eggs. Keeping all males with no female in sight will reduce the chances of one of them becoming aggressive.
Btsenior

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 06:43:57 PM »

Good idea on removing the female
The tank I'm planning on setting up is a 60g and stands 24 inches tall. What I have for lighting is two 17w flourecent marineland F15T8NDL natural daylight bulbs. What I'm trying to find out if this is adequate for planting
TwoTankAmin

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 12:15:48 PM »

I would not bet that two male angels wont fight. The solution for muting aggression is usually a bigger tank. Sometimes nothing helps, but with angels space can help.

Btsenior

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 01:07:26 PM »

Thanks for angel advice
I'd really like to steer this conversation towards my setting up a new planted tank though.
Planning to start easy and wondering about the lighting I have and is there a heater watt to gallon ratio to follow
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation