Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

April 30, 2017, 07:43:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glo Danios dying after water changes  (Read 492 times)
Naezzo

United States United States

« on: January 17, 2017, 07:21:47 PM »

I have a 55 gallon tank. It has been up and running for 4 months . The tank has a Fluval 306 canister and an Aquaclear 70. It is stocked with the following:
11 tiger barb glo
9 tetra glo
7 danio glo
3 otto cats
6 Kuhli  loaches
2 bristle nose plecos

The water test is as follows:

PH 7.2
AMONIA 0
NITRITES  0
NITRATE 30

I do a weekly water change of approx. 25%.  Once a month I change the carbon and clean the decor.  The fish are fed once daily in the morning . There are live plants and volcano bubbles.

When we started the tank we started with 14 Glo Danios. Since then, we are now down to 7, after water changes one Danio will die within a day or two. I have found two on the filter intake and 5 have floated within two days of the water change. I use RO/DI water on every change. I add trace elements weekly.
Please provide ideas and thoughts.

Andy
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 07:52:08 PM »

If the Glo Danios are the only fish being affected, I would think about the source of those fish and/or consider setting up a quarantine tank for future fish.

Why do you feel the need to use DI water?

That being said, go over your protocols for tank maintenance or what I would refer to as 'the Mr. Spock scenario'. ("Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth")  happy

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 68 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Naezzo

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 09:24:16 AM »

Thanks for the quick response. To answer your questions; the glo danios were purchased from the Glofish website. They were shipped with the Tetras and Barbs. It has been approx. 4 months. I had a total of:

12 - Barbs
12 - Tetras
14 - Danios

Out of the 12 barbs, one was very small compared to the others. It never grew and got caught on the filter intake and died. Out of the Tetras, I have lost three. However, 6 of the Tetras were purchased approx. 2 months prior from a different source. Out of the Danios, I now have 6 left. I had another die yesterday. The water change was conducted on Sunday.

Out of the Danios that were sent, I think 6 were about an inch in size and grew to about an inch and a half. The remaining Danios were very small, like maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch in size. however, they never grew. I must say that all the Danios I lost were very small in size. I made sure they got food every day. They hung out in the floating plants and I always placed food in their area to make sure they were fed. I just couldn't figure why they didn't grow.

The use of RO/DI water is for purity and consistency. In the Cleveland area the tap water is very hard and not very consistent. I prefer the RO/DI to the tap for the purity of the water. Trace elements are added during each water change.

Thanks,
Andy
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 10:15:11 PM »

Thank you for the reply information. I didn't realize those Danios were tiny. That may explain their demise, especially in the presence of opportunistic Barbs. Or, because of their size, the transport could have stressed them and perhaps even more stressed from those picky Barbs. Chronic stress would lean to a breakdown in their immune response system. That said, I would have to assume you have noticed no visible signs or other symptoms of an infection or disease.

What kind of Tetras and Barbs do you have in the aquarium? Oops; never mind, I read up the thread.

* badmans_logo_small.jpg (32.1 KB, 300x349 - viewed 41 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Naezzo

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 01:38:26 PM »

Thank you so much for getting back so soon. I did make one mistake, I only lost two Tetras since putting them in that tank. However, I lost another Danio last night. I now have five left. I think you have made a very good point. They were small when they arrived and haven't grown any at all. I always made sure they were getting food. Except for two of the 14, they always stayed at the top of the tank. They hung out near the HOB filter or near the canister filter flow.
The biggest ones were two purple colored. I have been watching and noticed that one of the two has become the dominant fish. He chases the smaller Danios and forces them into the floating plants. I have never seen the barbs or Tetras bother the Danois. The Barbs are the happiest fish in the tank. They school all the time and go to sleep as soon as the lights go out. However, the Barbs or Tetras never bother one another.
Out 14 Danios there are 5 left. It has taken 4 months to get to this point. There has never been any sign of disease or injuries to the dead fish. I have three other tanks and use the same water and procedures on each. None of the fish in the other tanks have died.
I have never seen Danios delivered as small as they were. It was always a concern, but always hoped they would grow. I think you have solved the case. I appreciate your help.

Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's