Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 21, 2017, 10:34:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: african cichlid tank  (Read 1674 times)
pig

United States United States

« on: January 19, 2017, 09:06:53 AM »

read so many different opinions on compatibility of lake Malawi cichlids.  tank filled today, will run for 2 weeks adding media from open and running 29 gallon before stocking. local water has naturally higher PH-7.8 and KH-120, adding 10 pounds of calcium carbonate to substrate.  will do 1/3 tank water change every other week. That being same I do for my 29 gallon, which has ammonia-0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, but can only get PH down to 7.5 with a SunSun canister loaded with Fluval peat moss and ammonia carb. Filtration for 65b :confused:is aquaclear 110, Grech 800 and under gravel.  planned stocking is  2 white socolofi, 2 yellow labs, 2 acei, 2 rusty's, 2 yellow top mbamba, 2 synodotis ocellifer.  is this a good, semi peaceful mix??? thanks in advance for any and all input
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 09:35:57 PM »

You mentioned 65b. If you meant 65g for 65 gallons, then I think that aquarium will be fine for your stocking plans. You will most likely need to create four separate rockwork formations in the tank. Semi peacefull? Yes, I would consider your planned selection to be that with the Socolofi on that semi end. Your Synodontis may turn into the biggest fish issue. They will be in competition for the rockwork and each other. Perhaps just a single one for your tank. 

Will you be using a air pump and air lift pump or powerheads on your UG filter plate?

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 118 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
pig

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 08:00:24 AM »

You mentioned 65b. If you meant 65g for 65 gallons, then I think that aquarium will be fine for your stocking plans. You will most likely need to create four separate rockwork formations in the tank. Semi peacefull? Yes, I would consider your planned selection to be that with the Socolofi on that semi end. Your Synodontis may turn into the biggest fish issue. They will be in competition for the rockwork and each other. Perhaps just a single one for your tank. 

Will you be using a air pump and air lift pump or powerheads on your UG filter pla

Yes a 65 gallon-(typo)the biggest available with a 36" length. I like a longer tank
75/90 gallon but the only place I could put them is being reserved for my 125g.  I have 5 formations and using an air pump, commercial grade w/900+ gallon per hour flow.  I like the White Socolofi for the color difference, but not "married to it".  Good suggestion on the only one Syno and just saved me $15 Smiley.  Any suggestion on not blue or yellow tank mates?  If all goes well will get my 125g out of storage set that up this spring with all South Americans.  Thanks much for the reply.
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 07:24:01 PM »

Sounds like a good setup. Keep us posted on your build for that tank  happy

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
pig

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 08:24:54 AM »

Sounds like a good setup. Keep us posted on your build for that tank

Looking forward to an all African Tank, have always had South American Cichlids previously. Thanks much and will do.
Amp2020

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 09:26:03 AM »

What do you think about adding some peacocks? Ive seen them in just about any color and they seem peaceful. Or some large rainbowfish?
pig

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 04:14:45 PM »

What do you think about adding some peacocks? Ive seen them in just about any color and they seem peaceful. Or some large rainbowfish?

Peacocks although beautiful are normally too passive for the more aggressive mbuna,  rainbows also beautiful but are from Australia?-keeping this aquarium all African-takes for the reply and welcome to site
pig

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 01:29:45 PM »

Sounds like a good setup. Keep us posted on your build for that tank  happy
65H all up and running 4 Acei, 4 yellow Lab, 2 snow white socofoli (had 3 but 1 ?) and 1 cuckatoo syno//filtration Aquaclear 70, Aquaclear 110 and a UG-everybody is thriving except 1 yellow lab being bullied

* 65G all Africian April 28 2017.jpg (83.59 KB, 960x540 - viewed 67 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation