Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 19, 2017, 08:05:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Community Aquarium  (Read 793 times)
Matthew Meli
« on: January 23, 2017, 03:27:18 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi i have a 30gallon fresh water tank it has been set up for 2 weeks now. I have the following fish
2 bristlenose plecos
3 peppered cory
2 bronze cory
2 black mollies
3 hawai varitius platy
4 swordtails
8 guppies
Do you think the tank will be fine. All fish seem to be doing fine and water parameters are ok although it is abit hazy.
Gremlin2756

England England

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 08:05:49 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Be prepared for lots of fry from your livebearers haha
Gremlin2756

England England

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 08:10:57 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Personally i think thats a lot of fish for a 30 gallon but if you have tested the water and parameters are good and fish are behaving fine then its OK. If you got any babies what would you do with them
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 08:19:48 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I tend to agree with Gremlin. I think 2 Bristlenose in a 30 gallon aquarium may be 1 too many for your tank.

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 55 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
TwoTankAmin

United States United States

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 12:06:56 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Your list of fish contains species that should really not be kept in the same water parameters. The mollies especially need harder water while the plecos and corys want it on the softer side.

You have 4 different live bearers (17 fish). This will not last, they will all produce fry as long as conditions permit. My first tank was a 45 gallon which held a few common orange swortails. My second tank was for growing out swordtail fry. My first angelfish were purchased primarily to eat swordtail fry. I would suggest you settle on either swordtails or guppies and keep just them as long as your water parameters are close to what they need.

Also, corys are social fish and need to be in groups, the bigger the better. Most folks will say 5 or 6 is the minimum number. It is better in a situation such as yours to have all of one species rather that a couple each from different species. I also suggest you pay a visit to another site which has great information designed for those new to the hobby. While not prefect, it is one of the better one's I have found. http://fins.actwin.com/aquariafaq.html click on Your First Aquarium

Don't let any of this put you off on the hobby. We all have had a learning curve in trying to figure it all out. And the learning really never ends once you get hooked on fish which is one of the things that makes the hobby so much fun.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Gremlin2756

England England

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 04:42:40 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I have had 2 bristlenose breed in a 40 gallon before. Boy do they poo a lot!!! Definitely need to clean the tank well Smiley
In regards to corys the more the better as said above.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation