Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 24, 2017, 11:41:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mail order fish  (Read 860 times)
FoalMom

United States United States

« on: February 11, 2017, 12:53:57 PM »

I am very disappointed with my first mail order fish. I received my package of guppies (that I ordered specifically for their awesome color) 4 days ago. One was DOA. One has disappeared and is assumed dead after 2 days. All of them are grey.  Sad  If I wanted grey fish, I could have gone to the big box store!

Did I order them from the wrong catalog?  Or is this a common occurrence?  While shopping online I saw some ridiculously expensive fish (of course, all the ones I wanted) so I am wondering...what is the most you have ever paid for a fish?  Any regrets on buying an expensive fish?  Is there really a difference between a cheap fish and an expensive one?
Ruthy
Veterinarian

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 01:10:45 PM »

Have you messaged the company about the ones that have died (particularly the DOA)?
They may have dulled their colours from the stress of transport and when they settle will show their colour again.
FoalMom

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 01:15:50 PM »

I have not contacted the store. They do have a 14 day guarantee, but I don't think I want any more fish from this company. They were cheap. Lesson learned!
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 02:10:39 PM »

It is not possible to determine the quality of a fish based on its price.

Just because somebody has a site that tempts you means little. Its all about REPUTATION.

I get almost all of my fish shipped in. But this means anything from having a trusted breeder far away sending fish to my picking up boxes at the transshipper soon after they have been cleared by fish and wildlife etc. at the airport. So the exact same species of fish might cost me $20 from the breeders and $4 if it hits the country soon after being removed from its natural habitat in the wild. The first fish should arrive in good shape and be what I expect. The latter may arrive in poor condition, some may die, will likely need treatment and will need to be quarantined for a few months before being sold or put into my permanent tanks.

I also breed some pricey rare fish which I sell and this includes shipping them.

There is a fair amount of learning to get to the point where you understand the ins and outs of buying fish online/shipped in, especially from complete strangers. Never forget that Its all about REPUTATION.

There are plenty of bad sellers out there. There are a few good ways to find the better sellers:
1. Join a local fish club, the folks there will be a gold mine for new hobbyists. These folks have been buying fish for many years abd they know the reputable sources.
2. Before buying from the more commercial online retailers, look around for feedback from folks who have bought from them. Fish sites are great for this.
3. Even better are species Specific sites. If you are a guppy fan, try poking around these places:
http://ifga.org/
http://guppy-online.com/wga/
4. I hate to send you here, but what the heck. Remember, even excellent feedback doesn't guarantee 100% how satisfied you might be http://aquabid.com/ (I almost never sell my fish at auction, and then only at live events, never online).

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
FoalMom

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 05:20:11 PM »

Wow. Show Guppies!  I never knew.

Namyen

Thailand Thailand

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 05:24:28 AM »

Ordering from a known breeder with some IFGA awards is basically a sure bet. Most of them will guarantee their fish.
Amp2020

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 08:58:48 AM »

I like to join group orders, so that I can save on the shipping cost. Also, I would suggest ordering from companies that are close to your location. Shipping across country usually results in stressed out fish from being in their bag too long. Having high amounts of ammonia, and higher chances of extreme temperature fluctuations during shipping. Also check online for reviews of that breeder or company. Some shippers have no idea how to package their fish for long journeys and in times of extreme weather.

I've bought plenty of corals and saltwater fish online and had some horrible experiences. The reputable companies will make things right with refunds or credit. The not so reputable ones will usually have plenty of negative reviews online.
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 01:31:54 PM »

Distance is not that big a deal when the shipper knows their stuff. overnight deliver is overnight whether its going from NY to LA or NY to Philly.

Salt water fish and fresh water fish do not ship the same.

1. Proper purging of the fish to minimize pooping.
2. Add a bit of ammonia detoxifier to the bag water.
3. Add a piece of Poly Filter to the bag.
4. Use heat or cold packs as needed.

But the most important difference between shipping sw and fw fish is most fw sent overnight or which take 2 days should nit be acclimated whereas sw fish must be. Fish in bags do create ammonia, but they also create co2, That co2 cause the pH of the bag water to drop. This in turn makes the ammonia much less toxic as it will be more in the form of NH4 than the highly toxic NH3. When one opens the bag, oxygen rushes in nd co2 comes out. the result is the pH pops back up and with it that the ammonia is turning from NH4 into NH3 rapidly. The way to prevent this is to use the plop and drop method. get the fish out of the bag water and into healthy water ASAP. Do not worry about temperatures as fish are harmed way more being in too high or low temperatures that they do from immediately being moved into the proper temperature.

If you know anybody who imports fish or who is a reseller or breeder will tell you they lose less fish doing the plop and drop than any form of acclimation. True acclimation takes between 2 and 4 weeks for all the physiological changes to take place.

As noted, good sellers/shippers guarantee live arrival and know how to pack so they do not often lose fish in transit.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
pig

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 05:37:18 PM »

I am very disappointed with my first mail order fish. I received my package of guppies (that I ordered specifically for their awesome color) 4 days ago. One was DOA. One has disappeared and is assumed dead after 2 days. All of them are grey.  Sad  If I wanted grey fish, I could have gone to the big box store!

Did I order them from the wrong catalog?  Or is this a common occurrence?  While shopping online I saw some ridiculously expensive fish (of course, all the ones I wanted) so I am wondering...what is the most you have ever paid for a fish?  Any regrets on buying an expensive fish?  Is there really a difference between a cheap fish and an expensive one?
I have order fish for many years from the interweb.  Some as you stated some offer a 14 day guarantee, most others at least offer a live till they arrive guarantee.
I will not order from a place that is so committed to their product that it will live only for the overnight transport.  I have used both That Fish Place and Live Aquria many times and both have never giving me a hard time about a mortality.  As far as color-a picture is just that a picture.  Shipping does stress fish and with right envoriment snd water paramerters they should color back up.  Good luck
fishtank

Canada Canada

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 04:35:58 AM »

Recently I have faced same problem and I can't understand what should I do. So thanks a lot to clear the problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation