Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

May 24, 2017, 12:47:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Betta fish in a new peaceful community tank  (Read 392 times)
JayPat

United States United States

« on: February 14, 2017, 12:23:05 AM »

I have a new 40 gallon fresh water tank with 2 small angelfish, 8 glow tetras, 2 small redline sharks and 1 Bala shark, 3 small clown Loache, 2 platys, and 4 tiny Cory cats.
This is a planted tank with a bioChem substrate and large rocks.
Can I add one male Betta fish to this community?
Will they nip at my Angelfish or will the angelfish nip at them?
Can a Betta tolerate the fast moving activity of the Loaches and Cory cats?
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 09:04:51 AM »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your tank is way too small for your stocking which needs some changing.

Clown loaches, though slow growers, get to be well over a foot long. They also need to be kept in as large a group as possible. At least 5 fish. I keep these fish in a 150 gal. tank. You could keep a few of the smaller loaches such as Ambastaia sidthimunki. I have kept a group of these now for over a dozen years. they are very active at all levels of a tank and bother nothing.

Bala sharks get to be a foot or more and will do so faster than clowns. And you need to keep them in groups of 5 in at least a 7-8 foot long tank. They will likely eat most of your other fish as well. I do not keep balas as I do not have the proper sized tank for them.

Redlines, which I keep and occasionally import to sell, also need to be on a group of more than two. They will also be happier with more swimming space. The will love plants.

I would suggest you return the bala, the clowns and the redlines. Then increase the number of corys to 6 - 8. The platys, if one is female, will give you babies, you would normally get overrun by them except the angels should keep the population in check because they will get eaten. I got my first angels to control my swordtail population.

Even without the above considerations, there is no way I would add a male betta to your tank. The have little place in most community tanks. There are many species of betta and some are fairly mellow, splendens is not one of them.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
JayPat

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 07:46:14 PM »

Well it sounds like I'm about to have a population problem. The aquarium store did not tell us the sharks and loaches would get that big. How fast do they grow?
I have another question. We have our tank in front of a wall mirror on a built in hutch. My husband thinks the fish are agitated by the fish in the mirror that they can't get to. Most tanks I've seen have a dark background nut I like the mirror, it makes the tank look deeper and I like looking for my hiding fish. Does it matter what kind of background I use?
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 09:44:54 AM »

Male betta splendens will try to fight with their reflection as they do not tolerate another male in their territory. He will also likely harass the angels. The clowns grow slow, the bala does not. I have a few clowns I have had since 2002 and they are not near full grown. They are in the 10-11 inch range.

Backgrounds serve multiple functions. One is to block light which is often the cause of algae another is they improve the looks of a tank. Substrate choice will affect how the fish look colorwise but a background is not important in this respect.

In planted communities I normally paint the outside of the back, and sometimes the side glass back. In tanks where i am breeding and growing out spawns I am often bare glass on all sides including the bottom.

I am not sure find that I can see some reflections in the back glass in terms of being able to spot fish. My instinct would not be yo use and actual mirror simply because most animals cannot tell that what they are seeing isn't another animal as opposed to themselves. I have seen a couple of documentary segments that deal with this.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
JayPat

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 06:24:26 PM »

Very interesting videos. I watched quite a few and learned a lot. I see you have to be cautious of who you're listening to though as anyone can post a video.
I've given up the idea of adding a Betta to my community tank. I need to focus on improving the environment for the Bettas I already have.
I won't be "adding" anymore population to this tank.
Here's what I'm thinking. I should definitely give up the Bala shark before it becomes unmanageable within my space and population.
I really like the loaches and cory cats and my husband likes the redlines. If it's a choice of one or the other I would want to keep the loaches over the Redlines as they are so very interesting to watch and they are good gravel eaters too. I'm thinking about the feeding requirements of the larger fish verses the smaller fish. It appears that the the tetras and platys gobble up all the food before the slower moving larger fish get to it.
Maybe I should set up a new tank for the tetras, platys and angels so I can keep my larger species in the 40 gallon.
But maybe I'm just taking on too much as a newbie. It is a lot of work to maintain what I have now.

Pat
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's