Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 21, 2017, 12:48:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Betta Filtered Tank verses open bowl  (Read 768 times)
JayPat

United States United States

« on: February 16, 2017, 08:06:14 PM »

I have two Bettas that ignited my passion for aquatic fish about a year ago. A beautiful blue Siamese spleden and a red crown tail.
I keep them in two 1.5 gallon tall vases with glass rocks in the bottom, a halogen light that sits on the table behind them and various plant options that I have tried. There is no filtration or heater, just open at the top.
I've tried broad leaf plants but they tend to get a white fuzzy slime on them and have to be replaced every month, I tried plastic plants till I read on here that they can cause fin tares. Now I'm using silk plants with hammock like leafs.
I do my water changes twice a week, 25% on Wed and a full water change and bowl clean on Sat.
I'm thinking of changing over to one gallon filtered cube aquariums. Currently my Bettas seam very lethargic and they are not feeding well.
I need some feedback on the best options for keeping my Bettas healthy, active and happy.
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 09:56:35 AM »

Put them int a tank, get a filter and a heater. Put in substrate and live plants. Get a light, plants need light and nutrients. The bettas will love you for doing this. I would suggest using a 2.5 or a 5.5 gal tank however.

Bear in mind that bettas are labyrinth fish which means they gulp air at the surface. Therefore be sure to have a lid on the tank and to leave some open space between the water surface and the lid. The lid will insure the air is warm and moist when they do this.

Have a read here http://seriouslyfish.com/species/Betta-splendens

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
JayPat

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 06:00:44 PM »

Thank you for your explicit answer. My instincts have been screaming for me to do exactly as you suggest although I was not aware of the importance of having a cover for my Bettas.
I notice you do not mention divided tanks, I think they carry risk of the divider failing, also the ones I have seen provided very limited space in each section for fish movement and that just seems cruel to me.
What Would you suggest as a substrate; sand, rocks or fine gravel?
Plants are a whole new source of options to deal with. I know they like broad leafs they can lie in but I really don't know which plants would be best for my bettas and easily maintained for a beginner like myself.
I really do appreciate your straightforward input.
Thank you, Pat
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 01:10:33 PM »

You do not need fancy plants, Bettas love java moss. Java fern and anubias are both easy to care for as are most stem plants which can even be floated. Sand or small gravel are both fine- pick what you like the looks of.

I only use tank dividers when I am selling at weekend events. They are somewhat flimsy and its easy to accidentally move them. There are better ways to do DIY more permanent dividers.

There are many different species of betta. Some are way more mellow and one can keep a group with both sexes in the same tank. I kept a 10 gal. tank with Betta imbellis, often referred to as the peaceful betta, for a few years.

You can get some ideas by going to Google Images and doing a search for "planted betta tank"

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Dar

Canada Canada

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 06:50:17 PM »

I have a lot of water sprite in my 6.6 gallon tank for my betta & he seems to like swimming through it.
Netti

Canada Canada

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 07:51:02 AM »

Bettas will love any type of plants. I have always had good success with Vallisneria, which are grass-like and add a nice touch to a tank. Java Fern are easy, they don't look like fern at all, they have nice large-ish long leaves, you can just float them and let them go where they please, or tie them to some decorations you may have. You can plant the roots, but make sure you leave the rhizome above the substrate or the rhizome will rot and the plant will die.
Anubia is another good low light plant, and like the Java Fern has a rhizome. Anubia come in different sized leaves, some can grow quite high, and some only stay dwarf sized.

Java Moss is a nice cover on decorations, or even as a bunch just sitting somewhere, however it can easily overtake your tank, growing everywhere being a nuisance among the other plants. Just make sure to trim them now and then. Some use scissors, some just pinch/pull off the parts that need trimming.

Anacharis is a fun addition as well, it can be rooted or floated. Your betta will love swimming through the arches they create, and if you float them they can provide a little shade for him from the lights when they are turned on. These grow fairly fast, so if you have parts go "melty" on you, just pinch those off.

I would also recommend getting some Indian Almond Leaves, you just rinse them and plop them in the water. They will first float at the top but soon will get waterlogged and sink. These leaves help battle bad bacteria and fungus growth, keeping your betta safer. You will see a bit of discoloration in the water from the tannins leaking out, but this will soon reduce. I kind of like that stained water look, also called blackwater. Once the leave is disintegrating then it is time to replace it. I usually leave it in until it really falls apart.

If you want to keep live plants look into putting a little plant substrate on the bottom before adding the gravel, it will such a difference in the success keeping plants in your aquarium.
Good luck, and good on you (and your bettas) for switching them over to a real habitat for them.  happy

40 gallon long South Asian, 10 gallon Betta tank
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's