Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

April 30, 2017, 07:51:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you identify this disease? Black skirt tetra with black growth on the face.  (Read 507 times)
Amp2020

United States United States

« on: February 18, 2017, 10:21:28 AM »

I work for a pet store and we just got in some black skirt tetras last week with dark marks on their lips. Didn't look bad, just some extra dark marks that looked normal. But after a week, those dark marks began to grow larger and get swollen.  Some have passed away and there's one that is in bad shape. The eyes are bulging and mouth is really swollen. Most likely will need to be put down today.

I'm hoping that someone can identify what this is.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B10VGipSjC8KVHpxcW1qUkFwcm8/view?usp=drivesdk

Tank Size: 15 gallon tank connected to 100 gallon system

Filtration (include media types i.e. activated carbon, floss, etc): bio spool, filter floss, large amounts of activated carbon.

How long has your tank been set up: 2 years

Using a liquid reagent test kit, please provide the following:

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites:0 ppm
Nitrates:5 ppm
PH:7.2

Temperature:78 F

Substrate:brown gravel

Décor/Live or fake plants: fake plants

Maintenance (water changes-how much, how often, vacuum, etc): weekly water changes of 20%

Dechlorinator: Prime

Who lives in your tank? Include a  listing of inhabitants, feeding schedule, and how long they have had the inhabitants. White skirt tetras and cherry barbs.

What symptoms are being exhibited and when did they start: Started a week ago and the face has slowly been turning black and swelling up.

* Screenshot_2017-02-18-08-42-43_crop_349x296.png (97.53 KB, 349x296 - viewed 29 times.)
Ruthy
Future fish vet

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 08:37:21 AM »

Looks like it's his eye to me, please can you confirm if it is or isn't?
Amp2020

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 01:56:16 PM »

Fish is still alive today but hasn't eaten anything in several days. Both eyes are solid black now and very swollen. Similar to popeye in both eyes. The entire face is now solid black and the lips are so swollen that it can't close its mouth at all. Sadly its probably past the point of being treated and needs to be put down. I was hoping the antibiotics would help but nothing is slowing the spread of black infection.

Only the fish that came in with dark marks were affected. The rest are still fine with no signs of this spreading. There were a total of 25 tetras in the shipping bag.

I'm still trying to find a name for this infection. I've seen tumors grow on past fish but they were in random locations. This infection all started on the bottom lip and spread rapidly around the mouth and to the eyes.
Ruthy
Future fish vet

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 12:58:19 PM »

It could well be pop eye. What makes you think it isn't?
Amp2020

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 11:06:47 PM »

The popeye is the result of the infection. I've seen popeye in the past, as a result of an injury or external bacterial infection. But I've never seen a fish's face slowly turn black and then cause popeye. The black tissue doesn't look like necrosis either. More like a cancer growth that's black.
Amp2020

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 09:48:55 PM »

Looks like we got another on in this week's shipment. I'll be keeping a close eye on this one and try some melafix on it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation