Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

March 23, 2017, 09:21:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Red Severum shakes  (Read 130 times)
Naezzo

United States United States

« on: March 12, 2017, 07:57:32 AM »

I have a 75 gallon tank. Water is kept at 78 degrees. I have (2) HOB 110's & an Eshopps 100 wet dry. The pH is 7.6, AMONIA is 0, nitrites 0 and nitrates at 20. I have the following fish:

3 - clowns loaches
1 - red severum
1 - gold severum
2 - geo balanise
1 - geo topagos
2 - geo rio olamars
7 - Roseland
3 - blue rams
2 - blue gauramis
2 - gold gauramis
2 - albino plecos
1 - black ghost
4 - striper cats

The tank has been up and running since September 2016. Most of the fish have been in since juveniles. After having the 2 geo rio olamars in a hospital tank for a week, we just added them yesterday.
The red severum is a male and has been the dominant fish of the tank. He has paired with the female gold. We just noticed that the red severum has become a bit lethargic and has been staying in quite spots in the tank while he shakes his body. At times he forces the gold away from him, but mostly goes everywhere she goes.
Can someone tell me why he shakes and sometimes rubs his nose on the rock that he would be sitting next too?

Help is always appreciated.
Thank you
fishsupplyguide

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 04:29:05 PM »

From my understanding when they shake it is a show of dominance, typically when there has been a disturbance in the dominance between fish. It should be ok with a little bit of time once things are back to normal. Adding the fish back probably triggered it.
Naezzo

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 07:01:26 PM »

Thank you. That makes sense. I have read that before. I also read they may be showing off during mating time. I don't know if you ever heard anything about that before 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation