Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 23, 2017, 10:13:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: fluorescent bulb selection question  (Read 946 times)
Sheralyn

United States United States

« on: April 12, 2017, 09:27:42 AM »

Hello all,
I am thinking to upgrade my lighting on my 75 gallon aquariums. They both came with a 48" reflector top and one T8 Full Spectrum bulb 32 watt (I think it is 8,000K but not sure). Although "adequate", I find the light to be a bit dim and yellowish. I much prefer the bright crisp white light I seem to get from the LED's on my 40 gallon. I was wondering if the Coralife tube T8 32 watt 10,000K with blue/white rays would be brighter and crisper? I did look at some lighting articles but it's just too much information to absorb - just want somebody to tell me please LOL. BTW, I only have some java moss and a few sprigs of elodea in there as far as plants. Also wondering what part lighting plays with brown algae, I do have a bit of that. Thanks!
rasaqua
Make room for more stuff

I know where Russ's stuff is.

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 09:12:56 PM »

Hmmm, I don't recommend a 10K K tube for a freshwater tank. 5600K represents noon day sun and 56 to 6500K should be right for a 75 gal planted aquarium. 8K K is pushing it. If you can get a lamp that puts out 90-95 lumens per watt at 56-6500K, that will far better for plants in your tank than a 10K K lamp. There must be a compromise for what looks good to you and what is best for plants and fish. (Not to mention that 10K K is not even natural).  happy

When one can't explain things simply, they just don't really understand it.
Sheralyn

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 07:13:47 AM »

Thank you Rasaqua - I will stick with what I have then. Appreciate it! happy
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 12:04:55 PM »

While bulb temps are a factor, what really matters are two things, imo, espcially in T-8s. The first is spectrum and the second is CRI. This stands for Color rendering Index. Sunlight has a CRI of 100. The CRI rating of any bulb indicates how close to natural sunlight it will make things look in a tank.

Towards that end, consider this bulb

http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=179&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=3&SearchContext=YTo2OntzOjg6IlNlYXJjaElEIjtzOjE6IjMiO3M6MTA6IkRhdGFiYXNlSUQiO3M6MToiMiI7czoxNToiUHJvZHVjdENhdGVnb3J5IjtzOjExOiJUOCBMaWdodGluZyI7czo3OiJIZWFkaW5nIjtzOjg6IkFxdWFyaXVtIjtzOjg6IlNlYXJjaF94IjtzOjI6IjI0IjtzOjg6IlNlYXJjaF95IjtzOjI6IjIwIjt9

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4489

I have always like the tri-phosphor flours as they can be used until the burn out unlike lesser quality bulbs which usually need to be replaced yearly in planted tanks.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation