Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 21, 2017, 11:22:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling all dirted tank owners  (Read 841 times)
Galilea

United States United States

« on: May 04, 2017, 12:54:59 AM »

Hello!

I am dirting two 5.5 gallon tanks and I'm having a hard time choosing the proper dirt. I know Miracle Gro Organic potting soil was one that was used by many, but it seems it has been discontinued and amazon is charging more than I want to spend.

I was looking at Miracle Gro Nature's Care Natural and Organic Potting Mix with Water Conserve, but it has perlite which I've read is a pain in the butt in a tank. I was wondering what you guys think of the Miracle Grow Nature's Care Organic raised bed soil?

The label reads:
This product is formulated from (one or more of the following: peat, processed forest products, and/or compost), and (sphagnum peat moss and/or coir), poultry litter, alfalfa meal, kelp meal, and earthworm castings.
Guaranteed analysis:
Total Nitrogen (N) - 0.09%
Available Phosphate (P2O5) - 0.08%
Soluble Potash (K20) - 0.09%
Calcium (Ca) - 0.02%
Derived from poultry litter, alfalfa meal, kelp meal, and earthworm castings.
*This product contains 0.054% slowly available nitrogen (N) from poultry litter, alfalfa meal, and kelp meal.

Any thoughts on if this is safe to use in my tank?
I have hard water (GH of 12 degrees or 140-200ppm, KH of 5 degrees or 50-100 ppm, and a pH of 8.2) the last time I checked so I'm not really worried about the softening effects of the peat moss unless someone has a reason that I should be.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation