Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 19, 2017, 09:12:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Long Have Your Bettas Lived?  (Read 403 times)
Sarabi

Tanks: 75 Gallon schooling community (Panda Cories, Harlequin Rasboras, Gold Tetras, Praecox Rainbows); 5 Gallon (Caspian the doubletail betta, Callahan the Olive Nerite Snail, Java Fern, Anubias); 10 Gallon Cherry Shrimp Species Tank (in progress)

« on: July 06, 2017, 12:36:03 PM »

It feels like my Bettas never really live long.  I keep exact records with dates for all my tanks, and none of the Bettas live more than 2 years.  I take good care of them, too - 5-10 gallon tanks, gentle filter, live plants, Ammonia and Nitrite 0 ppm Nitrates between 5 and 10 ppm, 78-82 degree water temperature, a varied diet of multiple high quality Betta-specific flakes/pellets and frozen foods, just the Betta in the tanks and perhaps a snail, and I buy the Bettas at different places.  I can also keep much more fragile fish alive with no problem, and have been keeping aquariums for many years.

How long have your Bettas lived?  Do you keep records for your aquariums with exact dates, or is the age an estimate?  I've heard a lot of caresheets say their lifespan is 2-3 years, but then I hear some people on forums saying theirs have lived much longer than that.  I'm trying to figure out if I'm messing up over and over or if 2 years is within a normal range to have them.  I'm starting to think that maybe I just shouldn't ever get another Betta, if mine don't live as long as they should. 
Ruthy
Veterinarian

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 05:18:17 PM »

I think my boy years ago (in my picture) was about 3 years old when I put him to sleep.
Netti

Canada Canada

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 06:09:41 PM »

The first Betta I got was actually second hand, and don't know how long they have had him, we had him for almost 3 years, he was just a regular veil tail Betta.
The subsequent bettas were fancy tailed ones, and those just did not fare well at all, until the one that is in my 10 gallon right now. He is a plakat tail I guess, short tail? He has been with us for a year now, longer than the fancy tail ones have made it.
Good size tank, live plants, good water quality, good food, for all of them.....perhaps breeding all the beauty into them made them weaker?

40 gallon long South Asian, 10 gallon Betta tank
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's