Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 16, 2017, 08:51:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Betta tank  (Read 430 times)
Ruthy
Veterinarian

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: July 29, 2017, 05:30:41 AM »

Right guys, I'm starting back with fish keeping again. Definitely getting a betta. Need to find a tank first. Have a 25 inch space, or 30 inch space it can go into.
Would love a couple of twig catfish. Any other fish suitable for a betta tank? Planning on being planted and low flow so nothing that needs high oxygen in the water
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 05:37:11 AM by Ruthy » Logged
Ruthy
Veterinarian

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 06:33:53 AM »

To add, I think can get a 125L/33G tank in the space I have. Not huge, but will have to do
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 02:04:38 PM »

Hi Dr. Ruthy,

Even though it is difficult for me to imagine that a 125l aquarium as a Betta tank per say, but I think that is a nice size for what you may be planning for. Be sure to add some wood in your tank for your catfish. Be careful when thinking about several of these Twigs to your tank. Males are territorial.

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 43 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Ruthy
Veterinarian

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 03:00:35 PM »

Hi Russ,
I was chatting to a couple of members via Facebook and have since realised I can get a 160L tank. Due to my past experience with bettas, I'm unsure how one would do in a busy tank (Billy was a grumpy sod and killed anything else in his tank).
So thinking of a pair of pearl gourami, maybe 15-20 harlequin rasbora and a load of cherry shrimp.
Think the twig catfish may be a bit too hard for me to source currently as can only go to shops where Stanley (dog) is physically allowed to go in. Can always pop them into an Amazon biotope in the future. Decided rather than picking favourite fish, will go for an Asian biotope and see what can do alright in hard water
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 07:12:42 PM »

Can't go wrong with a nice sized school of H. Rasboras  happy

* badmans_logo_small.jpg (32.1 KB, 300x349 - viewed 35 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 04:02:27 PM »

I would think a lone Betta would love a big tank but it would get lost in it I think. What are the dimensions of the tank and what are your tap parameters? There are a lot of choices available is my bet. How married are you to the idea of a Betta splendens?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 04:13:14 PM by TwoTankAmin » Logged

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Ruthy
Veterinarian

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 03:55:57 PM »

TwoTankAmin, I'm opting for gourami instead of a betta. I do really love bettas and think he would love a decent size tank to swim in, but my want for some invertebrates means I can't have one (my previous betta would eat any size shrimp)
TwoTankAmin

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 10:03:23 AM »

As far as I know, Gouramis are pretty much similar to bettas in terms of behavior and requirements. My first tank was a 45 gal. and I had a pair of dwarf flame gouramis (Trichogaster lalius). Everything seemed fine until he built a bubble nest and apparently they spawned. I was a newbie back then and knew almost nothing. He ended up killing her by chasing her hard into the glass. Not long after he got into itwith  the the red tail black shark in the tank, The gourami did a stint in an H tank to recover. The next time the shark killed him. That little gourami wanted to be the boss of the tank and refused to back down.

As much as I like this site, I have also used several others for good ingformation on fish, especially cpmpatibiluty. One such site is SeriouslyFish.com. I haveepen to correspond occasionally with one of the people working on updating the information there for a number of species. I trust most of what i read on the site. Here is an example of what they write about the gourami i mentioned above http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/trichogaster-lalius/

I find the easiest way to get fisg info on the ite is to use Google. I type in the Latin (or common name) of the fish and then add "+ seriously" and Google finds it fast.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Ruthy
Veterinarian

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 01:56:37 AM »

According to "seriously fish" the pearl gourami is the most peaceful and good for communities. Don't worry, I did research the gouramis before deciding on them :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation