Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 16, 2017, 08:43:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: HELP......I have ich what should I do.....will quick cure do the job?.  (Read 726 times)
KC
« on: June 14, 2017, 11:42:01 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Will it harm plants shrimp and safe for all tropical fish?
mchambers

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 07:34:34 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Scaleless fish don't like it, as the API instructions say.

http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=637#.WUHVpLEpChA
TwoTankAmin

United States United States

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 11:45:20 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

mchambers- your link is not to Quick Cure, goes to API's Super Ich Cure.

Kordon, the maker of Quick Cure also makes an herbal based Ich remedy- Ich Attack. It is invert safe. You can read about it here http://www.kordon.com/kordon/products/organic-herbal-preventatives-and-treatments-2/ich-attack-disease-treatment#directions!

Some folks say their shrimp did OK with Quick Cure, others are not so sure. I use it. But I have not had ich since I began keeping shrimp in a few of my tanks about 7 or 8 years ago.. I like the Quick Cure because it is a two dose med and works pretty fast.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
mchambers

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 11:03:28 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

mchambers- your link is not to Quick Cure, goes to API's Super Ich Cure.

Kordon, the maker of Quick Cure also makes an herbal based Ich remedy- Ich Attack. It is invert safe. You can read about it here http://www.kordon.com/kordon/products/organic-herbal-preventatives-and-treatments-2/ich-attack-disease-treatment#directions!

Some folks say their shrimp did OK with Quick Cure, others are not so sure. I use it. But I have not had ich since I began keeping shrimp in a few of my tanks about 7 or 8 years ago.. I like the Quick Cure because it is a two dose med and works pretty fast.
Sorry about that.  Thanks for catching my mistake!

Nevertheless, they both use Malachite Green, as do many of the ich treatments, and I expect they present the same issues for inverts and scaleles fish.
TwoTankAmin

United States United States

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 03:12:27 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

What I like about Quick Cure is it uses a proven effective combo of ingredients. The directions state:
Remove carbon from filter before use.

Add 2 drops per gallon daily (do not discontinue filtration) for all fish except those in the tetra group.
FOR TETRAS: Add 1 drop per gallon daily.
FOR MARINE FISH: Add 2 drops per gallon daily in a bare aquarium.

Replace carbon 24 hours after last treatment. Maximum dosage: 3 daily treatments. If further medication is required, perform a 25% water change before administering another treatment cycle. Water will turn blue during treatment. This is a temporary condition and will disappear in a few days. Change 50% of water if fish show any signs of distress during treatment or an accidental overdose of this product occurs.
(Bolding added by me.)
from http://fritzaquatics.com/product/quick-cure/

It says nothing about scaleless fish.

Most ich treatments require exposing fish to the med for longer than 3 days. The reason is that Ich has a three stage life cycle and many treatments will not kill Ich in all three stages. However, the combination of Formaldahyde (Formalin) and malachite green is. The problem with these ingredients and the reason why so many others have been tried is that they are banned for use in the food fish industry. So unless you tend to or plan to eat your fish, they are OK to use in out tanks.

Formaldehyde + malachite green
In vitro 25 + 0·1 mg l− 1 for 24 h Adults** Effective – 100% mortality after 24 h Wahli et al. (1993)
100 + 0·4 mg l− 1 for 24 h Effective – 100% mortality after 24 h

25 + 0·1 mg l− 1 for 24 h Tomocysts Effective – 100% mortality after 24 h
100 + 0·4 mg l− 1 for 24 h Effective – 100% mortality after 24 h

25 + 0·1 mg l− 1 for 3 h Theronts Effective – 100% mortality after 30 min
100 + 0·4 mg l− 1 for 3 h Effective – 100% mortality after 5 min
(Red added by me.)
from http://dspace.stir.ac.uk/bitstream/1893/10147/1/Picon%20Camacho%20et%20al%20Parasitology%20Ich%20chemo%20review.pdf

Btw, that last link links to a paper which pulled together information on more Ich treatments than most of use ever imagined existed. It looks at them in the wtaer, in a dip and in food. It looks at how each worked on the various stages as well.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation