Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 16, 2017, 08:44:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Am I stressing my smaller fish?  (Read 194 times)
gph
« on: September 04, 2017, 05:18:16 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Reading this site's article on fish longevity by species, I notice that I'm quite good at keeping medium-sized barbs (e.g., clown barbs), red-tailed black sharks, gouramis, kribensis and loaches for periods approaching the lifespan given there, but I'm lucky if I can get, say, cherry barbs to last eighteen months.

Over about 10-12 years, I haven't noticed much aggression from the larger fish towards smaller ones (aggression tends to be intra-species, except for the rtb sharks which are aggressive towards similar-sized fish).

But is some stress caused by the size difference alone?
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 06:10:19 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I would estimate that the smaller fish may be only stressed by the mouth size of the larger ones. One the other hand, the smaller fish may not even be worth bothering by larger ones if it doesn't benefit them in any way. Example....Large Piranha have been photographed in the wild and kept in large aquara with Neon Tetras. Fishes diet and energy exertion towards chasing or gathering food changes as they age and grow.

Others may have had various experiences with their RTB sharks. Me, its been 50/50 as far as their aggressiveness goes. But, don't mistake a fish's aggressiveness with just being an aggressive feeder.

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 37 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's