Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 20, 2017, 12:35:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tiger Barbs  (Read 278 times)
Netti

Canada Canada

« on: August 18, 2017, 07:02:47 PM »

It has been a long time wish of mine to have a tiger barb tank. I picked up 10 of them last weekend, however there has been a sick one among them, and now there are 9. I hope very much the others will remain healthy. The sick barb had just gotten very skinny in those days since I got them, and yesterday evening I separated him from the group and found him dead when I came back from work this afternoon. Possibly internal parasite?

I have been feeding them 2-3 times a day, they are still quite young and small.The rest all seem to be well so far! In the first few days they were very nervous and almost frantic, especially at feeding time. My thoughts are, that they were just starving for food, and now that there is a constant flow of food they are starting to settle down.

There are 8 mature Harlequin Rasboras in the tank with them. These have been with me for 3 years or so! There also is a yellow honey gourami in the tank, I have had him for about 2.5 years now. I've found an alternative place for him already, but it may take a week to get his move lined up.

Yes, I did not QT them, there was no way for me to do this in my home!
I would have liked to eventually add Kuhli loaches to the tank as well, but it looks like that the Kuhli would suffer with the tiger barbs. I have seen set-ups were tiger barbs and harlequin rasboras were successfully kept together. If I see the tiger barbs stressing the harlequins out, there is a friend who is willing to take them off my hands. For now they are schooling separately and at times mingling without problems. Feeding time is no problem, no aggression from the barbs.

They are in a 40 gallon long tank, so once they are grown it might be best to keep them as a species only in that tank, as to not have the tank overstocked.
Right now I am keeping an eye on the water's parameters. So far so good, no ammonia, and nitrates are around 10. (not going to bore you with details about the conditions of how the tank was beforehand, but I am ashamed to admit that the nitrates had been a lot higher before I got the tank ready to receive the tiger barbs, I had really let things go with my tanks since Spring)

* Tiger Barbs August 2017 A.jpg (53.6 KB, 720x405 - viewed 27 times.)

* Tiger Barbs August 2017 B.jpg (28.34 KB, 324x576 - viewed 22 times.)

40 gallon long South Asian, 10 gallon Betta tank
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 08:34:41 PM »

Thanks for sharing Netti. Your tank is looking good   happy

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Netti

Canada Canada

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 09:23:17 PM »

Thanks Russ.  happy
We ordered some plants online to make the tank look less empty. Some more Vals for the fish to sleep in, a larger anubia specie and some crypts.

gardniko

Armenia Armenia

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 02:42:18 PM »

Look really cool, I love it as well
Netti

Canada Canada

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 03:43:47 PM »

Thank you for your kindness gardniko.  happy

Yohana

Anguilla Anguilla

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 04:42:40 AM »

I like your information a lot.
Netti

Canada Canada

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 04:07:56 PM »

Thanks Johanna!  Smiley

So, on Saturday my husband and I went to a local aquarists club indoor garage sale type sale (now that's a mouthful), and I came home with a few plants of frogbit, Taiwan lilies and 2 albino bushynose plecos. The lilies are in the 10 gallon tank. I want to get a few more plants though, just seems a bit too empty still.

The plecos are doing quite well I think. I see them munching on the algae that I missed during the tank cleaning, they are out in the open even though they have a lot of places to hide if they want. I've been dropping algae wafers in but haven't seen them eating them yet. I suspect my gourami might be eating them and perhaps the rasboras. I will have to make a point to spend more time in front of the tank to see who is actually munching on them. This week I am planning to make a stop at the LFS to get some driftwood for them to chew on, maybe they also have some nice plants.

And the Tiger Barbs, they have grown a lot! So far everyone seems to be getting along fine.

* albino bushynose pleco 18 september 2017.jpg (82.16 KB, 540x960 - viewed 2 times.)

* tiger barbs and pleco September 2017.jpg (50.11 KB, 720x405 - viewed 2 times.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's