Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 20, 2017, 12:37:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: setting up new fish tank  (Read 34 times)
Stella
« on: September 15, 2017, 10:50:22 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi yall!

Im gonna set up two tanks and as Im new to the hobby Im hoping you guys can help me out so I dont make any mistake and give my fish a healthy and good life  nerd Ive been reading a lot and think Im ok as to cycling the tanks, water changes etc. Not so sure though about what kind of fish I can keep together in the bigger tank, if the space is enough.
One of them is a 10 gallon, and I wanna keep a male Betta in it. The other one is a 140 L and Im wondering if my selection of fish is ok?

- school of around 30 neon tetra
- 1 female betta
- 1 bristlenose pleco

Thanks so much, any advice or recommendations is very welcome!  goldfish
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 10:42:49 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Your final stocking options do look good.  I would like to caution you that neon tetras don't do well in a cycling tank.  If you put just the pleco and female beta in the tank for the cycle... wait 6 weeks and then add 5 or 6 neons a week until you have the number you want, you would have a better chance of keeping them healthy.

Also using a fish to cycle a tank is hard on the fish.  If you put the filter for the 10 gallon tank on the 140L and after that 140L is cycled moved the filter back onto the 10 gallon and put the male beta in, the tank would be cycled and the betta didn't have to go through the trauma of that.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation