Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 18, 2017, 11:53:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: setting up new fish tank  (Read 286 times)
Stella
« on: September 15, 2017, 10:50:22 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi yall!

Im gonna set up two tanks and as Im new to the hobby Im hoping you guys can help me out so I dont make any mistake and give my fish a healthy and good life  nerd Ive been reading a lot and think Im ok as to cycling the tanks, water changes etc. Not so sure though about what kind of fish I can keep together in the bigger tank, if the space is enough.
One of them is a 10 gallon, and I wanna keep a male Betta in it. The other one is a 140 L and Im wondering if my selection of fish is ok?

- school of around 30 neon tetra
- 1 female betta
- 1 bristlenose pleco

Thanks so much, any advice or recommendations is very welcome!  goldfish
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 10:42:49 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Your final stocking options do look good.  I would like to caution you that neon tetras don't do well in a cycling tank.  If you put just the pleco and female beta in the tank for the cycle... wait 6 weeks and then add 5 or 6 neons a week until you have the number you want, you would have a better chance of keeping them healthy.

Also using a fish to cycle a tank is hard on the fish.  If you put the filter for the 10 gallon tank on the 140L and after that 140L is cycled moved the filter back onto the 10 gallon and put the male beta in, the tank would be cycled and the betta didn't have to go through the trauma of that.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
TwoTankAmin

United States United States

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 09:19:52 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

There is never a need to cycle a tank with fish. Most people kill fish trying and many more get harmed for life. A fishless cycle take less time and will allow one to fully stock their tank in one go.

There are a couple of good bottled bacteria products that do work and which should get yoou cycled in about a week.

Finally, if a tank is well planted, one can just start adding fish after giving rooted plants a couple of week to settle in. Plant eat ammonia and do not produce nitrite. Plants also come with some of the nitrifying bacteria on them as well. So the right type and amount of plants can effectively handle almost all of the ammonia in a tank, they handle the cycling chore for the most part.

The filter trick methid can be a bit more tricky. Over time, the amount of desired/needed nitrifying bacteria in any tank will size to the bio-load available. In plain English they will size up or down to the ammonia load being produce. However, this is not so fast. In general it will take about 8 to 10 hours for the ammonia bacteria to double and about 14 for the nitrite ones. The problem is too much of either of these things in a tank can harm nor only any fish but even the bacteria themselves. But there are two issues doing this. The original tank will not create more bacteria, at best it spreads what exists out. When you move over the smaller filter, you have no idea how much or how little bacteria may be in it. Too little and you can have issues in the new tank it will go onto and too much and you get a spike in the tank from which you take if. You need to test both tanks for ammonia and nitrite for a while after doing this. The greater risk in the bigger tank will be nitrite and in the smaller one it will start with ammonia.

If you want assistance with any of the above ways to get a tank cycled without fish, let me know and I am happy to help you.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation