Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 14, 2017, 05:52:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Male pearl gourami - slightly protruding eyes, but no other signs of ill-health  (Read 1083 times)
gph
« on: September 25, 2017, 01:23:01 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

In fact, the contrary.

Although not in full breeding coloration, the white on the edges of its dorsal and anal fins is much brighter white than on the two females it shares the tank with (as well as 10 cherry barbs,  5 rhombus barbs, 6 clown barbs, 3 striped botia and a red-tailed black shark), and it has built (and abandoned) two bubble nests in two days. I've recently purchased the gouramis, so they're not full-size - females 2.5ins, male maybe 2.75ins, and the females are probably not ready to breed.

It's showing enough aggression to keep the other fish away from its nesting site, but not more than that.

Tank is 520lt (equating to 500lt of water), no ammonia, no nitrite, pH 6.8.

So I'm puzzled by the protruding eyes (and they certainly are protruding in comparison to the females', even if this protrusion is slight).
gph
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 01:28:59 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Oh, and the tank has been running for about ten years.
Ruthy
Veterinarian

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 12:42:12 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

What are the nitrate levels? No cloudiness or anything or the eye?
gph
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 02:30:03 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I haven't checked the nitrate levels, but have inferred from the fairly rapid growth rates of my fish (most of my stock is recently acquired) that they can't be too high (my understanding is the major effect of excessive nitrate is to stunt growth). I'll do the check when I get back home. They won't be low though, as I do have a major algae problem.

The eyes are completely clear. I should have mentioned that none of the other fish seem to be affected by any problems, but this is the case.
TwoTankAmin

United States United States

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 02:12:13 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Nitrate harms in a similar fashion to nitrite, it just takes a higher concentration (as read on hobby test kits).

However, it is likely that chronic exposure at more than about 20 ppm can also result in reproductive issues with some fish and the higher the level gets the more fish that may be affected.

My experience with an rtbs and gourami males in the same tank was not great and my gourami was a dwarf flame. Both these fish may want to dominate the tank.

Not really sure what to suggest re bulging eyes. Usually, that is not normal as far as I know.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
gph
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 03:59:24 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Annoyingly, I seem to be out of nitrate test solutions.

I've had an eventful week as far as my tank goes, seeing two other things I've not seen before.
a) a loach eye spine used in anger - the rtbs was the victim, getting it in the abdomen. The loach swan alongside the rtbs, which is about twice its length, there was a movement of its head toward the larger fish, and the rtbs took off as if stung. A bit odd, as loaches are not that aggressive in my experience. Perhaps I missed some previous aggression in the opposite direction;
b) the two female gouramis acting like kissing gouramis are supposed to (I don't find the kg a very attractive species so I've never kept them), going mouth to mouth to establish dominance.

As for the male pearl and the rtbs, they live at opposite ends of the tank, and the rtbs's aggression is mainly directed at the clown barbs. As there are six of them, the aggression is well spread out and not a big problem
gph
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 02:14:24 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Pets at Home don't sell nitrate test kits any more, or at least not separately, so I'm going to have to wait until I can get to a proper fish shop.

As it's not getting worse, and there are no other symptoms, I'm more curious than worried now.

Perhaps it's just an odd fish.
Netti

Canada Canada

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 03:20:44 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Take this information with a grain of salt as I do not know its accuracy. Some years back I frequented a betta forum. Bettas are anabantids, just like the gourami, so perhaps they have similarities other than the labyrinth organ. On this forum, it had been discussed that some bettas naturally have more bulging eyes than others.
If your gourami does not have any other signs of illness and your other fish are fine as well, no cloudy eyes....than perhaps it is, like you suspect, normal for your gourami to have more bulging eyes than his tank mates.
To be sure you could separate him from the others and treat him with antibiotics, but the poor guy might not even need it!

40 gallon long South Asian, 10 gallon Betta tank
gph
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 10:39:43 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Everything is as before - just a goggle-eyed fish, I guess
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman