Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 17, 2017, 05:54:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 gallon tank, 5 fish, help me out please  (Read 337 times)
willingtolearn
« on: October 20, 2017, 01:36:16 PM »

Hey, I'm newly in charge of taking care of a fish tank at work, and wanted some advice.

We have an orangey red Molly, I believe, who is afflicted with what appears to me to be fin rot. She had a chunk missing from her fin at one point, and now there's white stuff lining the edge. She also likes swimming around near the surface of the water, which concerns me because I don't think that's normal behavior, but hey, what do I know.

Further, we have three similar other fish, they look like Buenos Aires tetra, from the pics I've found online, but one of them is slightly less vibrantly colored, and we also have a Long Fin Black Skirt tetra. That one I'm pretty sure about the species of.

Having looked up the fin rot, I was wondering about the overall happiness of the tank because everything I've found online looks like it's saying that whoever set up this tank was an idiot. I'm doing more frequent water changes, and getting rid of the old food, since I'm pretty sure the huge can means that it's been being used for months and is stale. If there's anything else I can do, please let me know, or if I should ask my boss to get a new tank, let me know. Thanks.
willingtolearn
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 01:48:32 PM »

The other option about the molly's tail, I think, is that it's growing back. Maybe I should give you all a picture.

Wait, can I? The thing won't let me.

willingtolearn
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 01:56:17 PM »

Actual dimensions are 10" x20" x 12."
Netti

Canada Canada

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 08:44:04 PM »

Sorry you're having troubles with your fish.
I apologize if this is not what you want to hear, but the 5 gallon is way to small for the amount of fish and types of fish you have. To have a healthy tank and healthy fish you will have to rehome the fish you have. Tetras need to be in larger groups of their own specific groups to feel secure. You could get a few shrimp or snails for your 5 gallon. Or perhaps one  siamese fighter fish (betta splendens). Not all species together, only one or the other in a 5 gallon.

What your molly might have is columnaris, which is actually a bacterial infection.
Frequent water changes and thorough gravel vacs to remove any biological matter are a good start, but these fish are bound to keep getting sick in that environment.
Injuries on fish are often caused by fish nipping each other, and fish will do that when they are stressed or wrongly paired up.

40 gallon long South Asian, 10 gallon Betta tank
willingtolearn
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 04:14:44 PM »

Tbh, that's kinda what I expected to hear, but I guess it's good to actually hear it. Out of curiosity, my boss keeps telling me that it's a five gallon, but the dimensions I measured seem more like a 10 gallon. Would you know which it is from the numbers I gave above?
pokey6

Tanks: 6 g, 14g, 36g, 46g,75g, 80g

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 04:16:09 PM »

Its a 10 gallon tank.
Netti

Canada Canada

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 05:58:22 PM »

Oh, I missed that one. Yup, of course you're both got it right, it's a 10 gallon. That size is much better, however it sadly is still not adequate for the fish you have.
Here is a page where you can find some stocking suggestions for your 10 gallon tank:
http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php?topic=11184.0

40 gallon long South Asian, 10 gallon Betta tank
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 10:39:25 AM »

You are doing the correct thing with your partial water changes. Make sure that these changes are between 30-50% of the water volume each week using a dechlorinator (nothing fancy - straight dechlor) and matching the tank temperature. I'm going out on limb here by assuming that since this tank is at your work site, replacing with a large tank just to accommodate the current fish may not be an option. Maintain the tank you have, do weekly partial water changes and replace the can of food. Feed twice a day and keep in touch. The members here will help you.

* No color image.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 53 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
willingtolearn
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 11:17:31 AM »

Thanks y'all, especially about the water changes. The molly died this morning, her spine looked funny for the past little bit, so I'm not sure what went wrong there. My boss wanted to get a new fish immediately, and I told him we should wait to see if any of the other fish got sick before putting a new fish in there. Was that good? And should I do anything since a fish died in this tank? We're getting a new filter since this one looks about a hundred years old, and I've replaced the food etc. Is it true that not feeding them one day a week is ok for them? Because I don't come in on Sundays, and am kind of worried about that.
willingtolearn
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 11:37:23 AM »

Thanks also for the stocking advice article. It's super helpful.
pokey6

Tanks: 6 g, 14g, 36g, 46g,75g, 80g

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 05:18:59 PM »

Be careful when changing your filter. You could have a mini cycle start. If you have room in the back of your filter, put the old floss in with the new filter for about 2 weeks. This will help re seed the new filter with the good bacteria you need. Make sure to only rinse the filter/floss in old tank water. Fish are good without food for a day or two. I feed mine every other day and when I go on vacation, they can go for a week or so without any. Good Luck.

Paula
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's