Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 17, 2017, 08:11:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tropical birthday gift advice needed  (Read 400 times)
Smithy

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: October 23, 2017, 02:28:48 AM »

Hello, Badmans Tropical Fish forum.

It's my dads birthday coming up in 5 weeks and he will be turning a healthy 55. I want to get him something for his tropical fish tank because fish are his true passion but I don't really know what would be a great gift for a tank keeper. Ever since I was a child he has had tanks, he keeps them in tip-top shape and knows so much about each fish he has, the levels of PH in the water (Might not be PH could have gotten that wrong). I was thinking maybe a new pump or possibly a filtration system but even with these ideas, I'm not sure which brand to go for etc.

So if it was your birthday what gift would you love? something that would be great for your tank? If there is anything else I have missed please let me know and I will reply soon enough.

Cheers
Here is the birthday cake we are getting made for him I will post the real one when it's finished.
TwoTankAmin

United States United States

Tanks: 20- from 5.5 to 150 gals.

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 01:21:58 PM »

Your idea is a good one. The problem is your dad has clearly developed a system for doing fish related things that works well for him and with which he has become very comfortable. He also keeps fish which he knows will thrive in his water parameters and tank set-ups. This makes it hard for other folks to suggest something that would be appropriate for his set-ups.

However, this doesn't mean you cannot give him something he is guaranteed to be able to use. If you do not already know where he prefers to shop for fish related things, you should be able to find out. Then what you can do is give him a gift certificate to such a store of online site. This will guarantee that you cannot go wrong since he can use your gift to get exactly what he wants and/or needs.

If this doesn't appeal to you, there is another way to go. You need to find who his best "fish friends" are and then talk to one of them. Other hobbyist who share your dad's passion and who are familiar with his set-ups and what fish he keeps should be able to give you some suggestions for gifts. They would know what would be a good match for his tanks and fish.

If he is as good a fish keeper as you describe, then he likely quarantines new fish. This means he put them into a special tank so he can observe them for a number of weeks. This lets him insure they are healthy and doing well and prevents any new fish coming in which are carrying something harmful from spreading it to his other fish. I always do this and there are times when I have no space to quarantine new fish and I will not get anything new until I can make space available for this purpose.

And your dad is young, I did not set up the first of my 20 or so tanks until I was almost 53.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Smithy

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 01:21:19 AM »

Thanks for the reply some great idea and some good points. My first mission will be to get the name of the website he uses to order his fish and I will be getting him a gift certificate, as you said I can't go wrong and that way he can choose what he wants which is also always nice. Off to do a little research then I will ba back!

Thanks again 
Walapanut

Thailand Thailand

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 10:35:56 PM »

I think it is you who give you something. For me if my child gives I like that gift.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation