Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 17, 2017, 08:22:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: ~4 in Buenos Aires Tetra, bullies the other three fish  (Read 276 times)
Stasia
« on: November 04, 2017, 04:52:19 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I have a ten gallon tank, in which there are 2 Buenos Aires Tetra, another tetra whose species I do not know, but who looks similar to the Buenos, and a Long Fin Black Skirt tetra. I know it's small, but I take care of it at work, so I have limited change power; I'm trying to keep them as happy as I can in their unsuitable environment.

I've posted about them before in the Beginners Circle, but my account is undergoing some travails.

In any case, one of the BA tetra is about 3 /2 to 4 inches long, and it continually bullies the other three fish. I've rearranged all the tank decorations so that they would all have to choose new territories, and I made the available options more multiplicitous. It helped a little bit, but the other ones still generally hide in a corner, while he swims around menacingly. And whenever he sees one of them in an area that he wants to be in, he goes after it.

Is there anything I can do to reduce this behavior?

Thanks so much.
Netti

Canada Canada

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 05:57:39 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi Stacie, is there a way to either get a bigger tank for the office or change the stocking? There is nothing you can do to make these fish to behave normal if their environment does not change to meet their needs. A 10 gallon can not provide that, sadly! They need to be in a group of more of their own kind, they are all scared and stressed because they need the security of a larger group. Even the minimum of 6 of their own kind is not ideal.
If your office is set on the tetra species, then there are some smaller tetras that would be the better choice for a 10 gallon. For example 6 neon tetras, or 6-8 Ember tetras!
There is a board on badman's that has a few 10 gallon tank stocking suggestions,, you might get some inspiration there.

40 gallon long South Asian, 10 gallon Betta tank
willingtolearn
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 06:31:15 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Yeah, I'd love to be able to change the stocking to something appropriate to the tank, I've been reading so much material that it makes me really want a fish tank of my own, tbh.  :P But I can't get a bigger tank at work, and apart from letting them die of hopefully natural causes, I don't know of another way to give them more room. Is there a fish exchange or something that I could use to get these fish happier homes so that we could have smaller fish in our tank?
Netti

Canada Canada

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 09:39:03 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Perhaps you could try an exchange on Gregg's list, or your local Aquatic Club? Or even offering them for free?  fish09

40 gallon long South Asian, 10 gallon Betta tank
willingtolearn
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 12:29:07 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I wouldn't mind offering them for free, as long as I knew they were going somewhere good. I'm kind of attached to them now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation