Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 17, 2017, 08:14:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ottos - Have I got room, and if so, how many?  (Read 407 times)
Radagast

Tanks: 20g - 8 neons, 6 white clouds, 5 pandas, 2 trilineatus

« on: November 27, 2017, 04:37:53 PM »

It's been some time since I posted on here (which I feel a bit guilty about), but I've come to pick your brains!  I've got a mature 80l tank, which is well-planted and is currently populated by 6 Harlequin Rassies, 9 White Clouds and 6 Bronze/Albino Corys.  So, maybe 36 inches, or 45 cm, of fish - not that that means very much.

Back to the plants...  I've got an algae problem, and really wanted to get a shoal of Ottos - in truth I've wanted some Ottos for ages, but now I've got a reason other than personal curiosity for getting them.  I don't bother with formulas - I think it's easy enough to tell when a tank is under/over-stocked, but I look at my 2-footer and it looks really busy (because of the two shoals of surface feeders, I guess), but then most of the tank is unoccupied, because said shoaling fish don't tend to hang around in the vegetation; they go for the clear water above the plants or by the sprinkler bar.  I wouldn't be averse to buying a superior filter to increase circulation.

So, first question: have I got room for a shoal of Ottos?  Second question, given that Ottos are highly gregarious: how many constitutes a shoal - one would usually say six, but I've heard it said that 10-15 is much more likely to get normal behaviour from Ottos?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Actus non facit reum nisi mens sit rea.
pokey6

Tanks: 6 g, 14g, 36g, 46g,75g, 80g

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 06:26:38 PM »

Radagst,

80 L is only 20g. I would say you are done for stocking. IMO.

Paula
Radagast

Tanks: 20g - 8 neons, 6 white clouds, 5 pandas, 2 trilineatus

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 06:51:27 PM »

Yes, I think I was asking more in hope than expectation...  Is there any other solution to the algae issue, aside from Nerites (I've got Assassins - a hangover from a MTS infestation I had - and only the biggest Nerites are safe)?

Actus non facit reum nisi mens sit rea.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's